Original series Suitable for all readers


Mistigri

A 'Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons' story for Halloween

by Chris Bishop


"Thou art the Great Cat, the avenger of the Gods, and the judge of words, and the president of the sovereign chiefs and the governor of the holy Circle; thou art indeed... the Great Cat."

– Inscription on the Royal Tombs at Thebes


Her name was Mistigri.

She was a strikingly beautiful cat. Her coat was pure black, with no trace of white, very shiny and not too long, except for a long fuzzy tail that she held very tall more often than not. She had the distinctive particularity of having rare and bright blue eyes, which was uncommon in a black cat, but not unheard of.

It was Her Human’s youngest Offspring who gave her her name, when she came into this home. Oh… That wasn’t that long ago, actually, as she was still very young – by human standards, that was. Technically, she was a young adult, still just out of the kitten phase, although she still retained some of the characteristics of a very young cat. However, in all of Creation, felines were known to be unique creatures. Of course, humans, being the bright species they were – or so they claimed – had realised that, many, many eons ago, when they started saying that they had nine lives. They had indeed discovered that when they looked deep into a cat’s eyes, they could almost see the reflection of the oldest soul they will ever encounter.

It wasn’t the only thing they had realised about cats, these humans. They were literally fascinated by them –as well they should be. Cats were also fascinated by Humans; otherwise, they would not have taken the interest in them that they showed since the first cat deigned to enter a human dwelling and decided it was good enough to make his own. Humans were truly odd creatures and cats were curious about them. All these things Humans created, all those homes they built. They were certainly worth another look at the time and ever since then, cats had stayed by their side. Cats were independent spirits, but even independent spirits could feel the weight of lonesomeness and seek companionship. That was truly a match made in Heaven, an association in which everyone got something out of it. Humans brought shelter, warmth, food and a constant source of curiosity and interest. Cats… well, cats brought themselves and everything that went with it. So what more could Humans want, really?

Cats were keepers of homes against unwanted rodents and intruders, unfailing hunters, deadly warriors… They were humans’ noble and tolerant companions, their equals – sometimes their superiors even. It was no wonder cats became the familiars of powerful people. Warlords, witches, emperors, kings, gods – Pharaohs in Egypt even decreed that cats were gods themselves. Humans knew of cats’ importance and their mystic powers. Cat were guardians of the Underworld, bringers of good fortune, protectors against evil, all-seeing creatures that could look deep into one’s soul, read emotions, feel the world around them…

Truly, cats were unlike any other beings.

It was with that full knowledge of what and who she truly was that Mistigri was born – already fully self-aware of her own importance and of her rightful place amongst all who lived in her world. Her family might not be all aware of that, but they respected her and loved her – even the Offspring who insisted on playing with her so much. She would consent to do so, because they were gentle and considerate – and they would always give her something nice to eat as a reward. Beside, Mistigri loved to play. But generally on her own terms.

Mistigri sat on the windowsill, in Her Human’s office. This was her favourite place, the edge of her personal world, where she could watch the rest of the universe. In her home, she was safe and warm; there will always be food and milk a-plenty, and she could play and sleep to her heart’s content. Here, in this small space, it was quiet, and she had the best view of the world outside. It consisted mostly of a vast lawn, the limits of which were bordered by a high fence. The lawn was decorated with bushes and trees, with one particularly large oak tree standing some meters away from the window, which was the home of a multitude of birds. Mistigri would spend hours watching that tree, meowing and chirping in excitement, at the birds flying in and out of it, her huntress’ heart awakening at the sight of the prospective prey that she couldn’t hope to reach.

At the moment though, she was slightly annoyed that she had to share her personal space with a giant ugly and smelly fruit that Her Human had put on the windowsill, just today. She was in the kitchen the previous day, watching with inquisitiveness as he helped His Offspring cut the big fruit out, removing the insides and carving an ominous smiling face on one side. She wasn’t really impressed, and didn’t understand the motivation behind this rather odd activity. Humans ate fruits and vegetables – that she respected, although she despised eating them herself. But strangely enough, they didn’t eat that one. They simply cut it out, and then put it here, the ugly face with the evil smile looking towards the exterior of the house. Mistigri arched her back and showed her fangs to it, unsure what exactly she should do about that thing.

“Don’t you dare touch it, Mistigri,” Her Human told her in a warning voice, when he noticed how disapprovingly she was looking at this unusual invader. “That’s a jack-o-lantern. Tomorrow, it’s Halloween. You just have to bear with it a couple of days, then it’ll be gone.”

It took long minutes, but at the end, Mistigri decided that the best thing for her to do was to ignore the grotesque fruit. At least, she was prepared to do for a time. Meanwhile, there were far more interesting things to do. Like looking outside, which was her favourite pastime.

Mistigri lived in a big house, which was in essence her whole universe. It was so big, that she had not visited all the rooms yet – but that was still to come. There were even places she wasn’t really allowed to go, but that never stopped her from trying to sneak in. Like all cats, she was curious, and she needed to explore, and learn everything about her surroundings. She was still young and had plenty of time before her, so she didn’t have to hurry. She knew she would have it her own way in due time.

Her Human’s office was a good example of it. Until not that long ago, she was forbidden to go there; but that hadn’t really worked out, as she was as determined to go in as everybody else were to keep her out. It was Her Human, finding her sitting by the door, meowing and waiting patiently, who had finally invited her in. Since then, she had been a regular fixture in the place, sitting either on the side of Her Human’s desk, underneath it by his feet when he was working, or on the windowsill, like right now, looking onto the lawn outside.

Mistigri would keep mostly quiet, as Her Human conducted his human business. He was someone of importance, Her Human. Other people addressed him with deference and acted accordingly around him. It wasn’t so surprising, come to think of it – he was Mistigri’s after all, so they ought to show him the respect he was due. And in doing so, they showed the same respect to her as well. Being a cat, Mistigri watched all of this with feline indifference. It wasn’t befitting her feline rank to display emotional pride in her human, or to be excited whenever he received visitors. That kind of behaviour, she left to the dog, Romeo.

The dog, unlike herself, wasn’t allowed in Her Human’s office. Of course, he was too childish for his own good. He would prove to be an annoyance and would be disrespectful to the many people that came to visit Mistigri’s Human. The cat knew how to behave and that was why she had earned her place in the office. She didn’t bother Her Human, and she left him do as he pleased.

Dogs never knew how to behave properly and couldn’t keep to themselves. It wasn’t that they were stupid; not entirely, anyway. It was just in their nature to act silly. They were not cats. Dogs were servants of men. Cats were rulers of their own world. They didn’t need humans, not as much as humans needed cats. They were noble role-models to follow, gods to adore and respect, superior creatures to serve, feed and groom. Cats were tolerant masters, who permitted their humans to cajole them; they rewarded humans with gracious purrs, just enough to show their appreciation.

Silly dogs. They never managed to learn to do just what was needed to please their humans. They always had to overdo it. They either were too loud – barking, howling, crying – or too frantic –jumping, running, playing, wagging their tail, never realising that sometimes it was just too much, even for their masters. Ah well, if they liked tiring themselves needlessly, it was their problem.

Weren’t they dimwits, all of them?

***

“Captain Scarlet, Captain Blue… Welcome to Canada.”

“Mister Prime Minister. Colonel White sends his regards.”

Something was up. Mistigri could sense it.

There were always many people in the house, and nearly every day, strangers came to visit Her Human. But today, since this very morning, something out of the ordinary was going on. From her window, she had seen strangers arrive and they were not like just any other visitor to the house. There were many of them, and were dressed in a way she had never seen before.

Sitting very still except for her tail swinging slowly from left to right, she watched attentively, curious as what could be happening and what exactly these outsiders out there could be up to. Her instinct told her that all this didn’t bode very well; and normally, she was right with these sorts of things.

When two men entered Her Human’s office and he rose to his feet to shake their hands, she looked over her shoulder and gave them a cursory glance. They were acting with Her Human with the same deference as any other visitor – as they should – but there was something about them, in the way they talked, the way they walked and how they held themselves.

And… there was one of them who was particularly interesting.

Mistigri could see an aura about him which was definitely different from any other human being’s. Oh yes, cats could see aura around people, animals and things – that was another thing that humans guessed correctly about their feline companions. But not only could they see aura around all that existed, they could also read them and act accordingly upon it. For example, when someone or something might prove a danger to them, cats could see it in their aura, and therefore keep away from the threat – or face it head on. Cats would know exactly when to pounce on a prey, just by the fluctuations in its aura. That was why they seldom missed.

People often said that cats had a sixth sense – and that was indeed true. The capacity to read auras was just a small part of it.

But right now, the newcomer’s aura was something Mistigri had never seen before, in all her present and past lives. It wasn’t threatening, nor was it worrying in any way. No, it was – odd. It was human, but not quite human. It was as if it was out of this world.

What kind of strange creature was this human, anyway?

Her feline curiosity picked, Mistigri decided had to investigate this strange phenomenon. She leaped off the windowsill and onto the floor with all her feline gracefulness, while Her Human invited his visitors to sit on the two seats on the other side of his desk. She went directly to them, and did something she had never dare do before.

She jumped right onto Her Human’s desk and then onto the lap of the man whose aura felt so out-of-place.

Her Human admonished her. “Mistigri… Really, what is the meaning of this? The good captain isn’t here to play with you.”

“I don’t mind,” Captain Scarlet said, smiling as he looked down into the inquisitive blue feline eyes raised towards him. His hand reached for the cat. At first, she raised her paw, giving a swift but light tap at the invading hand. Her claws were still in, and the tap was just meant as a caution.

Scarlet gently stroked the back of her head; that immediately caused the animal to purr loudly, closing its eyes with contentment.

“What a handsome fellow,” he mused. “What did you say his name was?”

Her name is Mistigri,” the Prime Minister answered.

“Oh. Sorry about that, Mistigri,” Scarlet said, scratching the cat behind one ear. The purring rose in intensity. “What beautiful blue eyes she has. That’s not very common I think?”

“No,” the Prime Minister agreed. “Mostly, black cats have either green or amber eyes. My daughter Olivia chose her because of her eyes, in fact. That’s really her cat, and she was supposed to take care of it, but you know how children are… They want an animal, then it’s up to the adults to take care of it. But in any case, it seems Mistigri took a particular liking to me – or to my office, to be exact. This is her domain. You like cats, Captain Scarlet?”

“I’m more of a dog person,” Scarlet answered. “But I do like cats as well. Actually, I have a Labrador retriever at home – well, my parents’ home,” he added, with a sheepish smile. “They… take care of him, because I’m not often home, due to my job. You see, your daughter and I have that in common.”

“Well, you have a good excuse,” the Prime Minister replied. “Your job is bound to take up a lot of your time.” He looked down at the small cat on Scarlet’s lap. “Very strange, to see her so friendly with you, Captain. She normally behaves herself with strangers and it’s not everyone who can approach her easily. She must sense you love cats very much.”

Mistigri kept her eyes glued to those of the strange, interesting man, almost as if she was peering deep into his soul. She couldn’t decide what it was exactly, but there was definitely something there – something noble, almost catlike. Ah, could it be this human had the rare, almost unhoped-for chance to possess the soul, the spirit of a cat? Did Mistigri actually encounter one of her peers in human form?

It was really impossible to say, and so, with her curiosity unsated, Mistigri turned around and jumped back to the floor. Even a fascinating human who may or may not possess a cat’s soul can become boring very quickly, just like other humans, especially when they were babbling amongst themselves. Nonchalantly, she trotted back to her window, head and tail raised proudly, making a show of ignoring the humans she left to their business.

She nimbly leaped onto her windowsill, knocking into the big fat ugly fruit that so annoyed her. It moved ever so slightly and sitting down, she glared with disapproval and hate at it. It was one thing to for humans to have the filthy habit of eating fruits and vegetables, it was another for them to leave the remains lying around in the sun to rot.

That awful, all-too-human smile seemed to be taunting her. She knew it was only an inanimate object, but it was simply too evil-looking. The stench was becoming unbearable – Lucky humans to be unable to smell as well as she did – and really, really, it was taking too much space, that she needed for herself. This was her spot, after all.

The way the fruit had moved when she had landed on the windowsill just now had given her an idea…

She got up and slipped between the window and the large fruit, shoving it aside. It moved a little further away from the window, and closer to the edge of the windowsill. Mistigri gave it a thoughtful look; her nefarious plan was working. Now, perhaps if she was to push it a little more…

She sat down on her back legs and put her front paws on the fruit. Using all of her body weight against it, she pushed and it moved closer still the edge. Now with maybe one more little shove...

The fruit tilted over the edge, fell and crashed noisily onto the floor, where it broke into many squashy parts, making Her Human and her two visitors jump.

The Prime Minister and the two Spectrum Captains turned around to see the destroyed pumpkin lying in pieces on the floor. On the windowsill, where she was now all alone, the black cat was looking down with fake innocence at the poor victim – while clearly being guilty of the whole incident.

“Mistigri!” the Prime Minister scolded her, furrowing his brow as he did so, while behind him, both Captain Scarlet and Captain Blue exchanged relieved glances and knowing smiles. “Look what you have done! What a mess! And you nearly gave me a heart attack, what with the Mysterons’ threat! I thought someone was breaking in!”

It wasn’t the first time Her Human talked to her in irritation and Mistigri did was she always did in the same circumstances: she listened for a second or two, not showing any remorse whatsoever, then ignored the remonstrance. If cats could shrug, she would have done so; instead, she did what was the feline equivalent, and started licking her back, calmly, without a care in the world. Her Human mumbled something, and then grabbed the phone with an angry gesture. He was doing now exactly what Mistigri expected of him: calling the staff, so that someone would come to clean up the mess.

And not too soon too, Mistigri thought. The smell will soon be gone.

Satisfied that she had recovered her window all to herself, she turned around and slowly curled herself in her usual place, taking a look outside. She could see the same men as before, walking onto the lawn. On the horizon, there were big dark clouds covering the sky and quickly approaching. The wind was picking up, and was blowing yellow leaves from the big oak tree in the middle of the lawn. In her bones, Mistigri could feel that the weather was changing for the worst and that a storm was brewing.

She yawned indifferently. What did she care about bad weather, anyway? That was something for someone living outside to worry about. As for her, she was safe, warm and dry, here, in her home.

She leaned her head against the coolness of the window, and sighed. Ah, it was good to have her own place back, all to herself, without having to share it with an invading smelly fruit! She had not been able to get comfortable enough to have a proper nap all day, because of that unwanted company. Now was time to do some serious catching up…

Slowly, her eyes closed, and rocked by the receding voices of Her Human and his visitors, she let herself drift into sleep.

***

It was a crack of thunder that woke Mistigri up. Suddenly, she was up on her four paws, fully awake and alert. The office was dark, and she was now all alone; Her Human and his visitors gone, obviously for a long while. The floor at the foot of the window was now clean, someone having picked up the piece of the destroyed fruit. How odd, thought Mistigri; she had not heard anything at all, and had not woken up. It wasn’t like her to sleep so soundly; obviously she had needed the rest.

She blamed it on the large fruit; it was obviously responsible for that. Well, good riddance, then. Mistigri didn’t have any regrets wrecking it.

It was dark outside now, the moon barely enough to light the night, while clouds were passing to and fro in front of it. There didn’t seem to be any trace of the men she had seen on the lawn before. They too seemed to have left.

How long had she slept? Mistigri didn’t know exactly but obviously it was long enough for her to be hungry, as her stomach now started growling. Fortunately, she wasn’t locked in the room; Her Human – knowing Mistigri’s predilection for his office – had been thoughtful enough to have a cat flap cut in the bottom of the door. That way, Mistigri could come and go at her leisure.

She yawned and stretched; then she sat down and started to clean herself. She was in no hurry to go and get her meal yet; she knew there was always a full bowl waiting for her in the kitchen, just down the hall, only moments away. It was unbecoming for cats to rush to their bowl, the way dogs often do – just like Romeo, as a matter of fact. Really, dogs had no dignity whatsoever. There was no sense letting the humans believe that their food was welcome or even tasty – well, it was, but that wasn’t really the point.

Humans had never known why their feline companions would sometime look on their food with apparent disdain; they had never guessed that those were the times when cats remembered they were indeed hunters at heart. It was in those melancholy moments that they missed the excitement of the hunt, catching their dinner with their own claws and fangs, just like their larger cousins, tigers, and lions and leopards, did in the wild. Ah, but to join them in their glorious hunts… Now that would truly be a thrill!

As Mistigri finished her toilet, a bolt of lightning tore into the sky beyond the window, entirely lighting up the room. Thunder rumbled as she looked outside. There was a new flash of lightning, and the big oak tree in the middle of the lawn, almost entirely denuded of its leaves, appeared as a large and distressing shadow against the illuminated sky. Frightened birds were fleeing away. Mistigri followed them with her eyes, even as the light outside died. Cats could see almost as perfectly in the dark as they did in the light. She followed the birds with her eyes, chirping excitedly, thinking that one, or two or more of these birds would make a worthy meal.

She stopped suddenly, as thunder rumbled loudly, almost deafening her. She couldn’t hear a thing, and she automatically became more alert. As if things were not bad enough, it seemed as if somehow the darkness around became so unusually dense that even her feline eyes were not acute enough to see through it.

It was as if all of her senses had suddenly shut down. This was an unnerving situation, and she didn’t like it one bit. She felt threatened. There was a danger lurking there in the deepest part of the darkness. It was about to strike, but she couldn’t figure what it could be or when it would happen. She just knew something malevolent was going on. She could sense it, but felt helpless to do anything. And that was something she wasn’t used to.

As her hearing slowly came back to her, a clicking sound pricked her ears; she cowered down as low as she could on the windowsill and listened intently, looking through the window, in search of where that noise could be coming from. But the darkness was still impenetrable.

She heard the sound again, and this time found that it was coming from the bottom the window, very near her paws. It was the lock, keeping the window closed. It was moving.

Mistigri watched expectantly, her tail anxiously whipping the air. She meowed inquisitively and tapped the lock with her paw, testing it. It kept moving, an invisible, intangible hand pulling it open.

Mistigri came to the realisation that there was someone outside, just there very close by, on the other side of the window. The threat she had became aware of was coming from there.

There was another struck of lightning, the most brilliant to date, illuminating the world outside, with an eerie bluish hue. The silhouette of a man appeared, standing just outside of the window.

Mistigri jumped back, hissing and growling menacingly, her hair standing straight on her arched back, glaring at the ominous figure. He was wearing dark clothing, was dark of hair, and pale of skin. There was no expression on his face, none that Mistigri could recognise from any human being anyway. And his eyes, his very black eyes, which were staring icily straight at her...

… They looked as if they were dead.

Mistigri yowled. It was the first time she had seen eyes so devoid of life in a human; in fact, she wasn’t even sure what she was facing was human at all. The aura was wrong, definitely out-of-worldly. It was as if this creature didn’t have any soul – or whatever soul it had, it was dark and evil, and malfeasant.

The window opened an inch, creaking as it did. Mistigri’s back arched even higher, as much as it was possible and her hiss transformed into a loud snarl. Her ears were back against her skull, her fangs bared, her claws out, ready to strike.

The invader inserted his hand through the opening, seizing the window frame. It was only inches away from Mistigri. Too close for her own comfort; too threatening not to react accordingly.

She struck, as fast as the lightning bolt that fractured the night sky at the exact same moment. Her claws and fangs dug deep into the invader’s hand, drawing blood. She heard him yelp, at the same time hurt and surprised by the vicious attack and he swiftly withdrew his hand.

Mistigri kept watching the stranger as he examined his wounded hand. Something passed through his eyes and for a brief moment, his face lit up with a confused expression, which at least appeared human. He lowered his attention to the small creature squatting low on the windowsill, looking up at him, hissing and growling angrily.

Mistigri wasn’t going to budge; this was her domain, her world. The people living in it, Her Human, her whole family were hers to protect against this creature whose dark intent she knew was to harm them. She would stay there, guarding the window, determined to keep the intruder from entering, even if it meant losing one of her multiple lives in the process.

A long wailing sound started to blare loudly in the background, attracting the intruder’s attention; he looked around, just as beams of light appeared through the lawn, and voices were heard, calling frantically. Dogs barked, causing Mistigri’s hiss to grow in intensity. Dogs weren’t her best friends, especially the guard dogs prowling the lawn at night, but in this instance, they were allies, and she was glad they were nearby, at last realising the stranger’s presence. She would even welcome Romeo by her side, if the big dimwit were to suddenly arrive.

The intruder looked annoyed, as he turned his attention back to the nearly opened window. For a moment, he seemed to consider getting inside; but approaching steps and voices could be heard from behind the closed door of the office, and Mistigri warned him, with a snarl so impressive it would have made a tiger in the jungle back off.

His face lost all expression and again, he became an evil man-like creature. He stood up straight and stepped back from the window, glaring at the small cat which was still challenging him; if looks could murder, then Mistigri would have been dead on the spot.

The stranger gave the slightest of nods; Mistigri couldn’t decide if he was showing her respect, or if it was some kind of a promised threat to her. She didn’t care; she wasn’t impressed. Her eyes didn’t leave him as he started dissolving into thin air right before her eyes.

Mistigri knew then she was right. This creature wasn’t human. It was an indeed an evil thing that she needed to keep out of her home. She kept snarling and hissing, glaring fiercely at the open window at the exact spot where the man-like creature stood before he had disappeared.

She was still there when Her Human’s visitors from earlier that day entered the room and found her.

***

“It was Captain Black, all right,” said Captain Blue, once they were assured that danger had passed and that the Prime Minister could join them safely into his office. “Footage from the security camera confirmed that. They also confirmed that he entered the premises with the help of one of your RCMP guards, sir.”

“Yes, I know. It was Higgins.” The Canadian Prime Minister glanced through the window, where his RCMP bodyguards stood alongside Spectrum agents, who were standing guard outside, ensuring that everyone inside was safe and sound, and that no-one was prowling the grounds anymore, after the failed attempt to invade his home. He sighed. “But I don’t get it. Higgins was fiercely loyal, even to a fault. At least, I thought he was. How could he be an accomplice of Captain Black?”

“He couldn’t help himself, sir.” Captain Scarlet said softly. With Captain Blue, he was sat in front of the Prime Minister’s desk. Mistigri was on lying on his lap, her paws tucked underneath her in a perfect catloaf position. Her eyes were closed and she was purring contently, while Scarlet gently stroked her back. “The Mysterons have… convincing ways to make people do their bidding. That make them slaves who can do nothing but blindly follow their instructions – even to their death, if that should come to it. As you have seen when your man found himself cornered.”

“Brainwashed then?” the Prime Minister asked. Captain Scarlet nodded slowly. “Are the effects irreversible?”

“Pretty much,” Captain Blue answered, glancing sideways to his colleague. “Only one person was able to shake them off. That we know of.”

“A shame. Higgins was as brave a man as you could find. For him to end up that way… These Mysterons have a lot to answer for.”

“Indeed, they do,” Scarlet agreed. He continued to stroke Mistigri, still comfortably sat on his lap. Her purring grew so intense that it almost sound like she had swallowed a turbine.

“It’s phenomenal how this animal seems to appreciate you,” the Prime Minister commented, an amused smile on his lips. “She looks very comfortable on your lap, Captain. Please, if she is becoming a nuisance –”

“It’s not a problem,” Scarlet answered. “I’m more or less concerned that I will disturb her when it comes the time for us to leave you, sir.”

The Prime Minister chuckled. “You might actually have to take her with you then. I wonder – how would Colonel White react to a furry mascot on Cloudbase?”

“Not sure he would approve,” Scarlet replied. “But I reckon she’d make a fine recruit. Why, the security camera showed us she faced down Captain Black without yielding. That’s more than many men I know could say.”

“And if we are to believe the bit of blood we found on the window, she hurt him to boot,” Captain Blue added. “Never thought a cat would protect a house as well as a dog would.”

“They would certainly, if they believe their home and their family are threatened,” the Prime Minister said.

“What’s the name again, sir? Mister Grey?” There was some confusion in Blue’s voice as he repeated what he thought was the cat’s name.

Scarlet sniggered. “Mistigri,” he corrected. “She’s a lady cat, Blue.”

“I know that. I just thought the name was odd for a female.”

“It’s French,” the Prime Minister explained. “Rather old fashion. You can translate that to … ah… the English ‘Kitty Cat’ I suppose? Although it’s not quite right either.” He looked pensively at the cat, which now seemed fit to fall asleep on Scarlet’s lap. “I read somewhere that it can also mean ‘jinxed’, or ‘bad luck’. Which, in a way, is quite fitting for a black cat.”

Scarlet smiled fondly. “Probably depends on which side of the luck you are on,” he commented. “For Captain Black, maybe it was indeed bad luck to find her in his way. But for you, Mister Prime Minister – I would daresay that, to the contrary, she’s a good luck charm.”

Comfortably sat on the Interesting Human’s lap, Mistigri was now feeling completely relaxed. The gentle stroke of the man’s hand was the best remedy for her to regain her feline composure. Her recent encounter with the Malevolent Creature was now becoming just an unpleasant memory.

The Interesting Human, she knew it now, fought the same fight as she did. His aura, she had come to realise, was similar to that of the creature she had fought off that night – but in the same way, it was very different. They were, in fact, mirrored sides of the same coin, in conflict against one another – one guarding, and the other threatening. She knew why she liked this man so much; she had sensed he was there to protect her home against that other, the man-like thing. And now she felt safe, here on his lap, bathing in the warmth of his protective aura.

Of course, he won’t always be there. He will leave soon – cats could sense this – now that the danger was averted, that the evil one was gone, and that everything was all right with the world again.

Mistigri pushed herself up from the Interesting Human’s lap and jumped to the floor. Nonchalantly, she walked towards the now closed window, head and tail raised proudly, ignoring all those eyes she knew were turned towards her. She leaped onto her windowsill and slowly, sat down there, at her usual place, to look outside for a moment. The weather had quietened down considerably, and the moon shone fully now, barely hidden by the remaining clouds. She could see people walking on the lawn with electric torches, making sure there was no-one on the premises anymore.

Mistigri quietly licked her paw. She knew the invader was gone and that he was now far away, with no intention to return to her world anytime soon. Her instinct was telling her that, with no uncertainty. And if a cat couldn’t trust her instinct, then she might as well forfeit all of her nine lives and return to the great beyond.

She lowered herself onto the windowsill and yawned. This had been an eventful evening; but now it was all behind and there was nothing to worry about anymore. She had had her dinner, and now she’d be able to go back to sleep.

But as everyone knows, a cat’s sleep was never very deep; a part of a cat’s mind is always very much aware of its surrounding. And if there was any need for it, Mistigri would wake up, and again, intervene to protect her world.

She had faced Evil, and had stood her ground, against it.

There was a sense of satisfaction filling her heart, as she thought that what she had done tonight was no small feat; she had made her warrior ancestors proud tonight.

And she felt confident she’d be able to do it again, should the need arise.

THE END

Mistigri and black


Author’s notes

This story is inspired by the picture I created for this year’s Halloween Challenge. I thought there was something to tell about this poor cat, seated on the windowsill, disturbed by an ominous Captain Black…

Like Captain Scarlet, I’m more a dog person, who also loves cats. And if I should have a cat one day, I would very much like for it to be black and have blue eyes, just like Mistigri.

This story was an experiment – to see if I can write a story from the point of view of an animal. Obviously, there’s a large part of anthropomorphism into this story, and the way Mistigri view herself, the human species, her surroundings and life – either physical or metaphysical – is strictly the idea a human writer can imagine how a cat actually sees about those things.

I dedicate this story to all Captain Scarlet fans, animal lovers in general – and cat lovers more specifically.

Great many thanks to Marion Woods for having beta-read this story in record time! Any mistake you might find are now mine and mine alone.

Happy Halloween 2019.

Chris Bishop


BACK TO "HALLOWEEN FANFIC" PAGE

“FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

OTHER STORIES FROM CHRIS BISHOP

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site