Original series Suitable for all readers

 

 

‘Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons’

 

A series written for the ‘Challenge of Five’

 

Moments Obviously Gathered By Someone:

 

Scarlet Leaves

By VMR

 

 

 

Downtime. It didnt happen often and not always in a way that wasnt totally annoying but it had happened now.

They were on their way back to Cloudbase after managing to prevent the latest Mysterons threat. Well, they would have been, but somehow, their Spectrum Passenger Jet ended up with a problem concerning its undercarriage, so now they had to wait while it was being fixed.

Blue had gone to see how long it was going to take, leaving Scarlet with their Spectrum Saloon which was parked by the administration and control tower of the small airport they had landed at. With a sigh of satisfaction, Scarlet perched himself on the SSC bonnet and started to enjoy the autumn sunshine as he waited for Blues return.

His thoughts turned to the mission they had just completed. It had been a long one. The Mysterons had targeted a World Government communication centre and had given themselves a whole week in which to carry out their threat. That was a long time to be on alert, even while working in shifts. Of course, because of his enhanced endurance, he had ended up doing double, partnering both Grey and Blue.

With satisfaction, he recalled how, once again, they showed the Mysterons Spectrums determination to protect the Earth. He also was feeling good because this time, he was going back to Cloudbase under his own steam.

Stretching, he wondered how much longer Blue was going to be and if he should join him. But the peacefulness of the moment acted a bit like an anchor, making him reluctant to move. He was sort of amazed by the elegant surrounding, but considering that this airport had been built to serve a high class resort for a very posh and exacting clientele, he realized that he shouldnt be surprised. Still, the environment was very nice and he could feel the influence that it was having on him. It was nice to be able to relax for once.

A smile came to him, as he imagined the shock the airports manager must have got, when told that Spectrum would use his airport as a landing ground for their craft for their next operation. He doubted they would have had any type of plan for that situation. Still, it made logistical sense for them to land here and it had worked out well.

Looking around, he took in the perfectly laid out flower beds, the precisely clipped shrubs, the well-manicured lawns and the deciduous trees displaying their autumn colours. One colour specifically caught his eye: a vibrant red, which stood out against the blue sky. Not even at home had he seen such red leaves.

He could see a number of different types of trees; however maple, oak and dogwood were the only ones he could identify. Seeing the oak trees reminded Scarlet of his last trip home. His mother had been very happy to see him and he and his father had a great time going to a rugby game, to watch two of his younger cousins play. It had been good to get home and he had needed that break.

Once again he took in his surroundings, being too well-trained to let his awareness slide completely. As he did, an exercise in awareness came to mind, so he utilized it to pass the time.

First, he needed a criterion of what to look for. That was easy; seeing as he had already spotted two, he decided on the colours of his colleagues and to make a bit harder, all had to be from a different object.

The colour grey was the easiest to find the concrete in the buildings and so was green – the grass. Ochre was a bit harder but he soon saw a flower that was close enough; and nearby was some white lettering on a sign.  And now for magenta He knew that it was going to be the hardest to find, but then, he had always liked a challenge. His eyes scanned the landscape, high and low, until they finally alighted on a discarded bottle by a rubbish bin.

Pleased with the swiftness of his locating, Scarlet found his eyes again drawn to the red leaves of the trees, almost scarlet in some places. The contrast between them and the sky was stunning and brought to his mind the friendship between Blue and himself. For Blue was almost always there for him, supporting, complementing together, they made a formidable team.

Movement caught his eye; Blue was returning.

Yes, he thought. Family, friendship and the splendours of the earth. Thats what makes the fight worth it.

 

__________

 

Disclaimer:

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons were created by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson.  The copyright belongs to some company not me.

I would also like to thank Chris for her website and the time and effort she puts into it. As well as beta-reading my stories (no easy task).

My story has been written for mine and others’enjoyment and not for any financial gain and any mistakes are mine.

 

 

 

 

Back to Blue Skies

 

BACK TO FAN FICTION PAGE

  

“FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE 

 

OTHER STORIES FROM VMR

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site