Original series Suitable for all readers


Sleeping Lion

A ‘Captain Scarlet’ vignette

by Shades


“I see the photography club got you.” Adam grinned and pointed at the computer screen.

The Cloudbase photography club, an offshoot of the astrophotography club, posted a monthly round up of the best photos taken of weather, sunrises or sunsets, base events or in the off duty areas (with permission of the subjects) onto the Cloudbase intranet. It had quickly become a favourite of many on base, and not a few people had talked about getting a semi-official Cloudbase calendar or photobook put together. Colonel White was reportedly not sold on the idea yet, but that didn’t stop the club’s enthusiasm.

“Oh?” Paul wandered over for a look at the screen and laughed out loud when he saw the shot. “I remember that one!” He grinned.

He’d been dozing in the sunshine on one of the benches on the Promenade Deck, ankles crossed and cap pulled low over his eyes, his head pillowed on one arm. Some anonymous wag (wearing an ochre tunic) had sticky-taped a note to one of his boots – ‘Back in five minutes’.

The photographer had taken a long angle shot focusing on the note, but with just enough tilt to the side to see the rest of Scarlet. What really made the photo was the half-open blue eye as the captain peeked out from under his cap and looked down through the camera lens at whoever had disturbed his nap.

The caption had Paul grinning broadly – ‘Sleeping Lion’.


OTHER STORIES FROM SHADES

“FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site