Original series Suitable for all readersMedium level of violence

 

This story was originally published in two parts in Issues 82 and 88 of  the “Power Star” fanzine. It was posted on this website on 2000, without the authors’ permission, with respect to their beautiful work, and is re-posted now for the 2009 Annual Halloween Challenge. We salute the authors, wherever they are. – C.B.

 

[The Mysterons...sworn enemies of Earth, possessing the ability

to recreate an exact likeness of an object or person--but first,

they must destroy.  Leading the fight, one man fate has made

indestructible.  His name:  Captain Scarlet....]

 

Pawns of Evil

 

 

A “CAPTAIN SCARLET AND THE MYSTERONS” story

 

By D. Lynn Bivens And Kimberly Murphy

 

 

CONCLUSION

 

 

 

 

 

File-ID: <1.05633.69.0C51514D@cloudbase.spectrum.gov>

Organization: Spectrum Cloudbase (Colonel White, Commander-In-Chief)

Summary: Mission transcript--contains background information, video data, and restricted personnel information

 

Restrictions: EYES ONLY--SPECTRUM RAINBOW CLEARANCE REQUIRED

 

Beginning transferral of "eyes only" data pertaining to Spectrum mission codenamed "Pawns Of Evil":

 

 

 

Summary Of Previous Attachments

 

It is now January 2069, almost one year since the first encounter with the Mysterons.  After a taxing mission against the Mysterons, a meeting is convened on Cloudbase to discuss the World President's concerns about strains on former Mysteron agent Captain Scarlet while Scarlet himself is in the midst of an accelerated retrometabolic recovery from injuries sustained during the mission.  President Younger is concerned that Scarlet may snap one day due to stress and revert back to serving his Mysterons masters.  But if Scarlet really is back for good, could Captain Black be brought back the same way?  The key seems to be Scarlet's memories--or lack thereof--of his hours as a Mysteron, and Spectrum Medical Center researcher Dr. Joyce Hollander has come to assist Dr. Fawn in the effort to free Scarlet's memories.  Captain Blue is angry that Spectrum is once again treating Scarlet like a traitor instead of a loyal officer, and Scarlet's first encounter with Hollander is not a pleasant one as she manages to offend him with her probing questions.  But more may be at work here than meets the eye as Hollander begins surreptitiously searching Fawn's records and radioing a mysterious contact she calls "Black Knight".  Meanwhile, Captain Black is in New York City--and predictably, people start dying and being reborn into Mysteron service as an army of evil intent begins to form on the streets of the once great American city.  "The pieces are falling into place," Black tells his Mysteron masters.  "Soon a blow of dark victory will be struck.  Spectrum will most certainly respond...and send the great Captain Scarlet.  And then, the trap will be sprung...and Spectrum, Scarlet, and all of Earth will fall...."

 

 

 

 

<Attachment #18:  Audio File #4871237-15D, dated 18 January 2069-- compiled from Spectrum wave bands>

 

 

VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS

This is the voice of the Mysterons.  We know that you can hear us, Earthmen.  Our pawns of evil will wreak havoc on your world as you fight a battle within your own ranks.  You will never defeat us.  We will be avenged!

 

 

<End of Audio File #4871237-15D>

 

 

 

<Attachment #19:  Video File #4871237-15E, dated 18 January 2069-- Spectrum Cloudbase corridor cameras>

 

Two doors in the personal quarters area of Cloudbase open almost simultaneously.  Out of one steps CAPTAIN BLUE, out of the other steps CAPTAIN SCARLET.  The partners turn to each other.  Blue looks surprised to see Scarlet.

 

 

BLUE

Done already?

 

 

SCARLET

I would have walked out earlier if I could have.  I hate visiting doctors.  The boffins at Spectrum Medical Center think they can poke and prod me all they like when I'm in recovery   because I can't do anything about it.

 

 

BLUE

(teasing)

Oh, I don't know.  I thought Hollander was your type--English rose beauty, dark hair, dark eyes...

 

 

SCARLET

(disdainfully)

Arrogant, rude, obnoxious Yank doctor.

 

 

BLUE

Yep, that's her.  You know, you two should get together later.

 

 

SCARLET

(sharply)

That's enough.  We've got a Mysteron threat to deal with.

 

 

BLUE

O.K., O.K.!  What's eating you – wake up on the wrong side of the recovery bed or something?

 

 

SCARLET

(calms slightly)

Sorry, Adam.  It's not you.  I just feel like I’m under a microscope again.  It's almost as if they still don't trust me not to start shooting green rings from my eyes or some other nonsense.  Maybe I'm imagining things.

 

 

Blue looks guilty for a moment, then looks torn.

 

 

SCARLET (continued)

What is it?

 

Blue gestures with his head toward the door to his quarters.  The two men enter the room together.

 

<End of Video File #4871237-15E>

 

 

 

 

<Attachment #19:  Video File #4871237-15F, dated 18 January 2069-- Spectrum Cloudbase personal quarters surveillance cameras in Captain Blue's cabin>

 

 

BLUE

(quietly)

You're not imagining things.  You're under increased surveillance.

 

 

SCARLET

(disbelieving)

What?

 

 

BLUE

The World President's got some bug up his backside about you flipping out and going back to the Mysterons.

 

 

SCARLET

(rolls his eyes)

Splendid.

 

 

BLUE

That's not all.  There's a new effort on to track down Captain Black.  And they think you may hold the key.

 

 

SCARLET

(now curious)

In what way?

 

 

BLUE

Something about your memories--especially when you were one of them.

 

 

SCARLET

But I can't remember what happened then.  I barely remember the crash and waking up in Sickbay afterward.  I don't remember anything in between.

 

 

BLUE

I know that and you know that, but apparently President Younger doesn't know that, or he doesn't believe it.  That's why Hollander's here.  She's a biochemist who thinks she can find some way to tap your mind.  They think it may hold the key to where Black is hidden--and   whether you'll slip back into Mysteron control.

 

 

Scarlet looks thoughtful for a long moment, then begins pacing.  Blue comes over to him.

 

 

BLUE (continued)

Paul?

 

 

SCARLET

(a bit too quickly)

I'm all right.

 

 

BLUE

Yeah, right.  This is Adam, remember?  You may fool the doctors, but I know when something's not right.  Talk to me.

 

 

 

SCARLET

(hesitates)

They could be right.

 

 

BLUE

In what way?

 

 

 

SCARLET

My memories.  What keys do they hold?  Maybe they do hold the key to what happened to Black.  Maybe they hold the key to retrometabolism itself.  Maybe they even hold the key to the destruction of the Mysterons.

(throws up his hands)

Adam, I sense something is there — some explanation as to why I am so different from any other Mysteron agent we've ever encountered -- but I can't find it.  I can't reach it.  And it is immensely frustrating. If Dr. Hollander can help... perhaps we should give her the chance.

 

 

LIEUTENANT GREEN'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Attention all Spectrum personnel:  Spectrum Is Red.  Repeat:  Spectrum Is Red.  Captains Blue, Grey, Magenta, and Scarlet, report to the Control Room immediately.

 

 

Both men come to attention quickly.

 

 

BLUE

They must have found something.

 

 

SCARLET

Or the Mysterons have struck and we are already behind the curve.  Come on.

 

 

The pair stride out of the room purposefully.

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-15F>

 

 

 


 

 

<Attachment #20:  Video File #4871237-160, dated 18 January 2069-- Spectrum Cloudbase Control Room cameras>

 

In the Control Room, Captains Blue and Scarlet are joined by CAPTAIN GREY and CAPTAIN MAGENTA, and all four men sit on stools before COLONEL WHITE's circular desk/console.  LIEUTENANT GREEN works quickly at his long console, attempting to gather information for the briefing.

 

 

WHITE

          Gentlemen, we have a crisis on our hands.

(to Green)

The display, Leftenant.

 

 

Green taps a button on his console as White swings his console around to face the display screen behind him.  The screen shows an image of a walk-in freezer filled with bloody bullet-ridden bodies.

 

 

WHITE (continued)

This was the scene a few moments ago at the 5th Street Diner in New York City.  A World Police detective, investigating suspicious behavior of two of his co-workers, found this carnage.  Among the dead were two World Police street officers who were investigating a silent alarm at this very diner.  These same officers checked into their precinct station two hours ago and left with their commander and heavy artillery.

 

 

BLUE

Good Lord...

 

 

WHITE

Reports are coming in from all over the city of bodies being discovered in various places, all of them bearing some connection to the patrons of this diner.

 

 

SCARLET

An army of Mysteron "pawns of evil".

 

 

WHITE

Precisely.  And you can be certain their field commander is Captain Black.

 

 

MAGENTA

What's the latest report from our ground forces?

 

 

WHITE

The pattern of disruption and crime appears to be centering around the central business district of New York City.  It would seem their plan is to completely disable the heart of the business district, then expand outward.  Our ground forces cannot hope to contain them;  the World Police Force is sending in   reinforcements, and the World Army is standing by.

(spins his console around to face them)

Gentlemen, you are to head immediately for New York City.  The Angel Flight will accompany you.  Once there, your job will be to stop the Mysterons at all costs.  Captain Grey and Captain Magenta, you will coordinate with the ground forces already present to contain the Mysterons so that an organized assault can be launched.  Captain Blue and Captain Scarlet,  you will seek out Captain Black and bring him back here.  I will remind you that it is vitally important that Black be brought back   here alive if we can ever hope to stop the Mysterons.

 

 

Scarlet meets White's gaze coldly.  White and the others realize Scarlet now knows about the World President's plans.

 

 

WHITE (continued)

Is there some sort of problem, Captain Scarlet?

 

 

SCARLET

(sharp-edged)

No, sir.  I am as eager to see Black apprehended as anyone.

 

 

There is a moment of uncomfortable tension as two strong egos threaten to collide head-on.  Everyone's eyes are on Scarlet and White, whose gazes never break from each other.

 

 

WHITE

I never had any doubt of that, Captain Scarlet.

(a beat as White lets tension dissipate)

When Captain Ochre finishes his rest period in the Room of Sleep in about fifteen minutes, he will be searching surveillance cameras in the area and giving you reconnaissance reports from them and from the Angels.  Are there any questions?

 

 

All four captains shake their heads.

 

 

WHITE (continued)

Right.  Captain Scarlet will be your field commander.

 

 

There is a flicker of surprise in Scarlet's eyes, quickly concealed. Scarlet nods his head in acknowledgement of White's command.  White returns the gesture.

 

 

WHITE (continued)

          I will remind you that there are perhaps hundreds dead across the city so far today,  which means you will be facing a Mysteron force larger than you have ever faced.  You must stay alert and stand together.  On your way now--dismissed.

 

All four captains stand as one and retreat from the room.

 

 

WHITE (continued)

Leftenant Green, launch all Angels.

 

 

GREEN

S.I.G.

(taps button on console)

Angels One, Two, and Three, immediate launch.

 

 

DESTINY ANGEL'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Angel One, S.I.G.

 

 

SYMPHONY ANGEL'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Angel Two, S.I.G.

 

 

RHAPSODY ANGEL'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Angel Three, S.I.G.

 

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-160>

 

 


 

 

<Attachment #21:  Video File #4871237-161, dated 18 January 2069-- Spectrum Cloudbase Flight Deck cameras>

 

 

Angel One launches from the deck of Cloudbase as Angels Two and Three slide forward on magnetic tracks into launch positions.  As SYMPHONY ANGEL and RHAPSODY ANGEL, already strapped into their seats, rise through the airlocks into clear tubes that connect to the underbellies of the waiting fighter jets, the Spectrum Passenger Jet rises through its airlock from the hangar bay to the secondary runway.  The remaining two Angels launch from the flight deck as Captain Blue, in the pilot's seat of the SPJ, lowers his Radio Cap microphone.

 

 

BLUE

Blue to Control--request launch clearance.

 

 

GREEN'S VOICE

Spectrum Is Green.  Have a good flight, Captain Blue.

 

 

The SPJ taxies the short length of the runway and shoots into the air, soon joining the Angels en route to New York.

 

<End of Video File #4871237-161>

 

 

 

<Attachment #21:  Video File #4871237-162, dated 18 January 2069-- Spectrum Passenger Jet cockpit cameras>

 

Captain Blue steers the jet into the midst of the inverted "V" formation the Angel Flight has created.  Captain Scarlet, seated in the co-pilot's position, checks his instrumentation as Blue levels off.

 

 

GREEN'S VOICE (continued)

(over speakers)

All scheduled personnel are to proceed immediately to New York City.  Ground transportation has been arranged for you there.  Your air lanes have been cleared.    Good luck, Captains.  Cloudbase out.

 

 

BLUE

I don't think I like our odds.

 

 

SCARLET

I know what you mean.  We really don't know   what we're heading into.

 

 

BLUE

Well, I know one thing we're heading into.

(indicates radar with his head)

A winter thunderstorm.  Check out the cloud cover indication ahead of us.

 

 

SCARLET

Lovely.  But that could be to our advantage.  It will make things difficult for our opponents as well.

 

 

GREY

(entering from behind)

In football, the offense has the advantage on a slick field because they know where they're going.

 

 

SCARLET

(looks back at Grey)

In American football, not real football l— or soccer, as you Yanks call it.  In real football, both sides lose their footing equally easily.

 

 

GREY

Real football isn't played with a round speckled ball.

 

 

SCARLET

That inflated pig's bladder your game uses can   hardly be called a "ball".

 

 

BLUE

All right, you two, knock it off.  What brings you up here, Captain Grey?

 

 

GREY

Just curious.  Didn't Green say our lanes were cleared?

 

 

BLUE

Yes--why?

 

 

GREY

Well, I'd almost swear I saw a plane off to starboard a minute ago.

 

 

SCARLET

(quickly checks radar)

He's right, Adam.  There's a commercial liner off to our right that's just entered our proximity -- and it's closing.

 

 

All three men look at each other.  The Mysterons have tried this trick before.

 

 

BLUE

(to Grey)

Go strap yourself in, Brad.

 

 

GREY

(heading out of cockpit)

S.I.G.

 

 

BLUE

(drops Radio Cap microphone)

Blue to Angel Flight--incoming aircraft,   possibly hostile.  Evasive action.

 

 

DESTINY'S VOICE

(over speakers)

S.I.G.

 

 

Through the aircraft's forward windows, the three Angel Flight planes can be seen peeling off in separate directions.

 

 

SCARLET

(checks radar)

Airliner still approaching.  They have not altered course.

 

 

BLUE

They may be after a bigger target.  Hang on.

 

 

Blue takes the SPJ into a steep dive.  The sound of the airliner roaring and the proximity alarms indicate a near miss.

 

 

BLUE (continued)

(pulling plane out of dive)

Man, that was close!

 

 

SCARLET

Too close.

(drops Radio Cap microphone)

Scarlet to Angel Three--I want a complete reconnaissance of that plane, including passengers and crew.  Seek and report.

 

 

RHAPSODY'S VOICE

(over speakers)

S.I.G.

 

 

SCARLET

(checks radar, then into plane's commercial radio microphone)

This is Captain Scarlet of Spectrum Passenger Jet One to commercial liner C-S-Zero-Six.  You have entered a restricted air lane and very nearly collided with four Spectrum aircraft on an emergency mission.  Identify yourself and your reason for entering this restricted zone.  Over.

 

 

COMMERCIAL AIRLINE PILOT'S VOICE

(over speakers, slightly shaky)

          This is Captain John Zukowski of Coastal Service Airlines flight 105.  We're terribly sorry, Captain Scarlet; we certainly had no intention of passing so close to your air patrol.  We were instructed by LaGuardia Control Tower that this lane was cleared for entry to New York.  Probably a tower mix-up --  those guys get under so much pressure.  I don't know if you heard, but they had a near-   miss at the tower earlier and the airport was closed for a while...

 

 

Blue and Scarlet look at each other.  There is obviously something more here than meets the eye.

 

 

SCARLET

(into commercial microphone)

One moment, Captain Zukowski.

(shuts down commercial microphone, drops Radio Cap microphone)

Scarlet to Rhapsody -- have you anything to report?

 

 

RHAPSODY'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Just completing my sweep.

(a beat)

The plane appears to be fully occupied.  The cockpit contains three commercial class airline pilots who all look more than a bit shaken.

 

 

SCARLET

Understood.  Return to formation.  Scarlet out.

(into commercial microphone)

Captain Zukowski, you were misled.  This lane is currently restricted for emergency Spectrum use.  If you would get on your commercial frequency and warn off other pilots, it would be most helpful.

 

 

ZUKOWSKI'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Absolutely.  Sorry again for the near-miss.  I'll do what I can.  Good luck, Captain Scarlet.

 

 

SCARLET

(into commercial microphone)

We may need it.  Spectrum Passenger Jet One out.

(drops Radio Cap microphone)

Scarlet to Angel Two -- possible Mysteron activity at LaGuardia Tower.  Proceed at Speed Ultimate to tower.  Seek and report.

 

 

SYMPHONY'S VOICE

(over speakers)

          S.I.G.

 

 

Rain begins to spatter against the windshield.

 

 

SCARLET

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Scarlet to Angel Three -- radar indicates other aircraft in area, and the weather's getting worse.  Intercept and inform them they are in restricted airspace.  Keep them out of our   way.

 

 

RHAPSODY'S VOICE

(over speakers)

S.I.G.

 

 

SCARLET

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Destiny, find us another place to land.  We can’t take a chance that there's not some sort of surprise waiting for us at LaGuardia.

 

 

DESTINY'S VOICE

(over speakers)

The old Kennedy International Airport is nearby.  It is seldom used anymore, but there may be room for us to land there.  Starting reconnaissance sweep--will report on findings.

 

 

SCARLET

(into Radio Cap microphone)

  S.I.G.  Scarlet out.

(to Blue)

Adam, keep your eyes peeled.  We may have to dive out of the way again at any moment.

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Grey and Magenta... it appears at least part of LaGuardia may be in the hands of the Mysterons.  We'll have to land somewhere else.  Grey, notify ground forces to meet us at Kennedy.  Magenta, find out if Ochre's got any surveillance camera reconnaissance he can share with us.

 

 

GREY'S VOICE

(over speakers)

S.I.G., Scarlet.

 

 

MAGENTA'S VOICE

(over speakers, somewhat sarcastic)

Ochre won't like being rousted from his beauty rest, but I'll see what I can find out.   Magenta out.

 

 

BLUE

(concentrating on flying, trying to dodge air traffic)

 A near-miss at the tower.  Makes you wonder how near that miss was.

 

 

SCARLET

 Probably much nearer than Captain Zukowski came.

 

 

BLUE

(sharp turn to avoid commercial jet)

I've got a bad feeling about this.

 

 

SCARLET

(dryly)

That's my line.

 

 

SYMPHONY'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Angel Two to Captain Scarlet.

 

 

SCARLET

(drops Radio Cap microphone)

Go ahead, Symphony.

 

 

SYMPHONY'S VOICE

(over speakers)

There seems to be mass confusion at LaGuardia.  There are planes everywhere -- on the runways, on approach, on takeoff.  I was nearly hit three times coming in, and the rain's not helping.  There is construction debris everywhere and the wreckage of an airplane off to the side.  The tower appears unoccupied.

 

 

BLUE

Mysterons!

 

 

SCARLET

And thousands of innocent airline passengers...

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Angel Two, we must presume LaGuardia Tower is now in the hands of the Mysterons.  Order all aircraft in the area to get clear, then destroy the tower.  Again:  Destroy the tower.

 

 

SYMPHONY'S VOICE

(into speakers)

          S.I.G.

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-162>

 

 

 

 

<Attachment #22:  Video File #4871237-163, dated 18 January 2069 -- LaGuardia Airport surveillance cameras, New York City>

 

 

Confusion reigns supreme.  There are jets everywhere on every runway, giving the tarmac area the appearance of a busy interstate.  The sky is black; rain is literally sheeting down.  Symphony Angel's sleek jet swoops in toward the tower.

 

 

SYMPHONY'S VOICE

(over outdoor speakers)

This is the Spectrum Angel Flight.  All airplanes and airport personnel in the area are ordered to clear the runways immediately.    Proceed to the nearest gate and clear the tower area.  Again, all airplanes and airport personnel in the area are ordered by Spectrum Command to clear the runways immediately.

 

Airplanes begin moving off the runways and people begin running for cover.  Symphony waits a few moments, then makes another pass around the tower.  She swoops into the air, then makes a bombing run on a direct course toward the tower.  As she approaches, a missile shoots from the Angel jet's nose.  The tower explodes on impact.  One more pass and one more missile, and the tower is educed to rubble.

 

<End of Video File #4871237-163>

 

 


 

 

<Attachment #23:  Video File #4871237-164, dated 18 January 2069--Spectrum Cloudbase Officer's Workroom cameras>

 

CAPTAIN OCHRE sits at a desk with a large computer monitor on it, trying to call up various screens.  He frowns at the screen in frustration.

 

 

OCHRE

(into Radio Cap microphone)

System's slow as Hell, Magenta.  I'm trying to get you a report on Kennedy, but something's running in the background and chewing up resources.

 

 

MAGENTA'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Scarlet's not going to want to hear that.

 

 

OCHRE

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Tell Scarlet to take tea or something.  I’m doing the best I can.

(a beat)

O.K., here comes something.  Kennedy looks reasonably clear.  Ground forces are already entering the perimeter.  You should have no trouble there.

 

 

MAGENTA'S VOICE

(over speakers)

  What about downtown?

 

 

OCHRE

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Coming up now.

(a beat)

A zoo.  World Police and Spectrum Police have the business area cordoned off, but the area around the Empire State Building looks like a war zone.

 

 

MAGENTA'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Around the Empire State Building?  What's so   special there?

 

 

OCHRE

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Maybe a bus tour just came through -- how the Hell should I know?

 

 

MAGENTA'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Easy, Rick.

 

 

OCHRE

(sighs, rubs eyes, then into Radio Cap microphone)

Sorry, Pat.  It's just that this damn computer’s so slow I feel like I'm useless up here.

 

 

MAGENTA'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Well, you're a lot more helpful there than down here.  About all you'd be doing here is holding onto the armrests of your seat for dear life.  Blue's a damn good pilot -- I don’t know if I could have gotten us through that mess without getting us all killed.

 

 

OCHRE

(into Radio Cap microphone, sarcastically)

Scarlet would have carried on.  He always does.

 

 

MAGENTA'S VOICE

(over speakers, sharply)

Lay off Scarlet, Rick.  I'd almost forgotten how cool he is under pressure.  It must be a three-ring circus in the cockpit, but he's not lost it once when he's been directing traffic.  If the World President thinks Paul Metcalfe is going to snap anytime soon, he'd better rethink his notions.

 

 

OCHRE

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Yeah, you're right.  Sometimes I forget that, too.

(checks computer screen)

Magenta, interference on all the downtown cameras is massive, and the storm's not helping.  I've got to stop whatever's running here to see if I can enhance the images.  Will get back to you shortly.

 

 

MAGENTA'S VOICE

(over speakers)

S.I.G.  Magenta out.

 

Ochre taps keys on the keyboard, then slams the tabletop in frustration.

 

 

OCHRE

Come on, come on -- what's the matter with this thing?

(drops Radio Cap microphone)

Ochre to Control -- Lieutenant Green, what's going on with the computer systems?  I can't get anything to come up in a reasonable timeframe.

 

 

GREEN'S VOICE

(over speakers)

We are having the same problems up here, sir.   Dr. Fawn appears to be running a large-scale database search in the foreground.  I've tried pushing it into the background, but it keeps  returning to the foreground.

 

 

OCHRE

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Of all the times for Fawn to be doing research... Lieutenant, I'm going to go have a talk with the good doctor.  See what you can do about getting some enhanced imagery on the cameras surrounding the Empire State Building.  You may know some tricks I don't.

 

 

GREEN'S VOICE

(over speakers)

Considering I helped build this system,  there's not much I don't know about it.   S.I.G., Captain Ochre.  Control out.

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-164>

 

 

 

 

<Attachment #24:  Video File #4871237-165, dated 18 January 2069-- Spectrum Cloudbase Sickbay primary camera>

 

 

DR. JOYCE HOLLANDER is staring at Dr. Fawn's computer screen and going through printouts on Dr. Fawn's desk, looking for something.

 

 

HOLLANDER

Come on, come on, it's got to be here.  There's no way Fawn didn't make notes on this.

(gets up from desk; walks to printer)

Maybe this is it.

(reads page that has just come out of printer)

Oh, you're kidding!  But that's not possible...

(reaches into pocket; pulls out personal radio; speaks into it)

Black Knight to King's Pawn--Operation Twister may have failed.  I have a report on Captain Scarlet's psychological evaluation post-incident.  It says--

 

 

Suddenly, Hollander stops talking as a gun is shoved hard into her back.  Captain Ochre snatches her radio out of her grasp.

 

 

OCHRE

(icy tones)

You've got about thirty seconds to explain yourself, "doctor", before I demonstrate what Spectrum does to spies.

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-165>

 


 

 

 

<Attachment #25:  Video File #4871237-166, dated 18 January 2069-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy International Airport, New York City, runway cameras>

 

 

A driving rain makes conditions difficult as Captains Scarlet, Blue, Grey, and Magenta disembark from the Spectrum Passenger Jet.  Another officer in an orange Spectrum color-coded uniform, LIEUTENANT ORANGE, rushes to meet them, coming to attention.  The officers exchange salutes, then all five run under an extended jetway for shelter.

 

 

SCARLET

What's the situation, Leftenant Orange?

 

 

ORANGE

The latest report from the World Police team on the scene says that the Mysterons are adding to their army as fast as they can.   Civilians who try to flee get picked off almost immediately.

 

 

GREY

Do we still have them contained?

 

 

ORANGE

We've got about a three-block area cordoned off, but that's still a lot of ground to   cover.

 

 

MAGENTA

  And a lot of civilians.

 

 

BLUE

Any sign of Captain Black?

 

 

ORANGE

We've had an unconfirmed sighting of him at the Empire State Building, but we haven't been able to get reconnaissance to give us a positive response.

 

 

SCARLET

We've got to push them inward.  What about reinforcements?

 

 

ORANGE

World Army is sending a couple of tank units.   The problem is the civilians--we certainly don't want to give the Mysterons any more troops for their army.

 

 

BLUE

That rules out an Angel air strike, too.

 

 

SCARLET

Yes.  But we have to get them pushed in somehow.  If only we could find Black...

 

 

OCHRE'S VOICE

(over Radio Cap speakers)

Cloudbase Control to all personnel on-site in New York City.

 

 

SCARLET

(drops Radio Cap microphone)

This is Scarlet--go ahead, Captain Ochre.

 

 

OCHRE'S VOICE

(over Radio Cap speakers)

Sorry for the delay.  We got our... "computer problem"... taken care of.  I have several reconnaissance camera shots of downtown New York for you.

 

 

SCARLET

Wizard!

 

 

OCHRE'S VOICE

(over Radio Cap speakers)

Whatever that means.  Anyway, it looks like the Mysterons are busy on the main streets. Grey, Magenta, you guys might try pushing in   from some of the alleys and side streets to force activity closer in.

 

 

SCARLET

What about Black?

 

 

OCHRE'S VOICE

(over Radio Cap speakers)

Definitely at the Empire State Building.   S.O.B. looks like he's enjoying himself watching the bloodbath below.

 

 

SCARLET

That will do for the commentary, Captain Ochre.  Where is he exactly?

 

 

OCHRE'S VOICE

(over Radio Cap speakers)

Observation deck.  Standing out in the rain   like he hasn't got any good sense.

 

 

DESTINY'S VOICE

(over Radio Cap speakers)

Angel Leader to Captain Scarlet -- we have an idea.

 

 

SCARLET

Go ahead, Destiny.

 

 

DESTINY'S VOICE

(over Radio Cap speakers)

If we can get the majority of the Mysterons concentrated on the main streets around the Empire State Building, one good strike should take them out.

 

 

SCARLET

Absolutely not.  Too many chances of innocent civilians getting killed.

 

 

RHAPSODY'S VOICE

(over Radio Cap speakers)

Not if we don't use conventional weapons. We could drop metal mesh like the Special Forces use to protect their communications gear from interference over the area and electrify it.

 

 

SYMPHONY'S VOICE

(over Radio Cap speakers)

And with the rain and wet streets, the effect would be like a large-scale Mysteron gun blast--and as long as the civilians stayed under cover, they'd be safe.  There's a World Army Air Force base nearby with a Special Forces attachment.

 

 

GREY

And I'll bet we could find enough generators to hook to the things and provide the juice.

 

 

SCARLET

Then let's get on with it.  Angel Flight, head for Rockefeller Air Base and get all the netting, mesh, and cables you can.  Captain Grey, Captain Magenta, see how many generators you can scrounge up.  Leftenant Orange, order your troops to push in toward the Empire State Building.  Take your reconnaissance from Captain Ochre.  Captain Blue, you and I have a date with Captain Black.

 

 

The phrase "S.I.G." is heard all around as all parties scramble for Spectrum Pursuit Vehicles and Spectrum Saloon Cars.

 

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-166>

 

 

 

 

<Attachment #25:  Video File #4871237-167, dated 18 January 2069 -- Empire State Building, New York City--street-level surveillance cameras>

 

An SPV pulls up in an alley behind the Empire State Building.  One side door slides open and Captain Scarlet lowers his seat to the street level, Mysteron rifle in hand.  Cautiously, he peers around the side of the door to check behind him, then gestures with his head.  Captain Blue climbs out of the SPV right behind Scarlet, carrying a Mysteron detector.  Quietly, they move toward a side door.  They are almost there when Scarlet suddenly stops and gasps for breath, looking pale and dizzy.

 

 

BLUE

(coming over to him)

Captain Scarlet?

 

 

Scarlet shakes his head, then whips around and fires the Mysteron rifle straight behind him.  A Mysteron agent who had just come around the corner drops over, dead from the electrode ray blast.

 

 

BLUE (continued)

You and your built-in Mysteron detector...

 

 

SCARLET

It's a wonder I felt him, what with all the Mysteron energy about.  I'll be quite glad to get inside.

 

 

They approach the door.  Scarlet tries to open it, but it is locked.

 

 

BLUE

Allow me.

 

 

He shoots through the lock with his high-powered Spectrum pistol.

 

 

SCARLET

Yanks and their obsession with firepower...

 

 

BLUE

You're welcome.  Let's get inside before they figure out we're here.

 

 

SCARLET

It won't take them long.  We broke a link in their telepathic chain.

 

 

BLUE

Maybe it's so long they won't notice a piece or two missing.

 

 

SCARLET

We can hope.

 

 

The pair open the door and sneak inside.

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-167>

 

 

 

 

<Attachment #26:  Video File #4871237-168, dated 18 January 2069 -- Empire State Building, New York City--interior surveillance cameras>

 

 

Scarlet and Blue move stealthily around corners and up staircases to the main level.  They come around a corner and find a security guard, weapon drawn.  Scarlet readies his Mysteron gun; Blue levels his pistol at the guard.  The guard raises his hands in surrender.

 

 

GUARD

Don't shoot, please!

 

 

Neither Scarlet nor Blue budge.

 

 

GUARD (continued)

I'm not one of them, I swear!

 

 

Scarlet casts his gaze at the Mysteron detector around Blue's neck. Blue lifts the camera and snaps a shot of the guard, then pulls the photo out and shows it to Scarlet.

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-168>

 

 

 

 

<Attachment #27:  Video File #4871237-169, dated 18 January 2069 -- shot from Mysteron detector of Empire State Building security guard>

 

 

The photo is an x-ray of a human skull--proof positive the guard's cells are not charged with retrometabolic energy, the hallmark of Mysteronisation.

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-169>

 

 

 

 

<Attachment #28:  Video File #4871237-16A, dated 18 January 2069 -- Empire State Building, New York City--interior surveillance cameras>

 

 

BLUE

Negative.

 

 

Both captains relax visibly.

 

 

SCARLET

(gestures with head toward revolving doors)

Are those doors locked?

 

 

GUARD

Every door is.  How did you get in?

 

 

BLUE

(almost sheepishly)

We shot through a lock and broke in.

 

 

SCARLET

And if we can do it, they can, too.  What's the fastest way to the roof?

 

 

GUARD

There's an express elevator for the tourists.

 

 

SCARLET

(hands Mysteron rifle to Blue)

Cover me from down here.

(to guard)

Take me to that elevator.

 

 

The guard starts to lead Scarlet away.

 

 

 

BLUE

Captain Scarlet!

 

 

Scarlet looks back.  Blue's eyes show concern but resignation that this is Scarlet's role--to throw himself into the thick of danger regardless of what could happen to him.

 

 

BLUE (continued)

Be careful.

 

 

SCARLET

(confident)

See you in a bit.

 

The guard and Scarlet leave.  Blue shoulders the Mysteron rifle and settles in to watch the doors and surveillance cameras.

 

 

BLUE

          Blue to Control... we're at the Empire State Building.  Captain Scarlet is on his way to the roof.  The hunt for Captain Black is almost over.

 

<End of Video File #4871237-16A>

 

 

 


 

<Attachment #29:  Video File #4871237-16B, dated 18 January 2069 -- Empire State Building, New York City--various observation deck cameras>

 

 

CAPTAIN BLACK stands on the deck, watching through observation deck telescopes.  He wipes the rain from his face and frowns as freezing rain continues to pour down.

 

 

BLACK

(into the air)

The crowd is too dense below.  Something is wrong.

 

 

A whirring noise indicates the opening of the elevator doors.  Black turns to find Scarlet coming off the elevator, gun drawn.  Black whips out his own pistol and fires at Scarlet, who dives away from the bullets and fires back at Black.  Black dodges the flying lead.

 

 

SCARLET

Give up, Black.  Throw down your weapon and come with me.  We may be able to help you.

 

 

BLACK

Never.  You were a fool to come here, Scarlet.   Now you and Spectrum will fall together.

 

 

SCARLET

I don't think so.

(drops Radio Cap microphone)

Scarlet to Control -- I have Black.  Request a Spectrum helicopter at the top of the Empire State Building immediately.

 

 

There is no reply.

 

 

SCARLET (continued)

(into Radio Cap microphone)

Scarlet to Control -- come in, Control.

 

 

Nothing.  Then the static feedback nearly deafens Scarlet, and he tosses his Radio Cap aside.

 

 

BLACK

Did you really think it would work, Scarlet?  Did you really think our masters would not   protect me?

 

 

SCARLET

They are not my masters.  And I am not your pawn...not anymore.

 

 

BLACK

Yes, you escaped.  My masters are very anxious to know how.  No one escapes from the Mysterons.

(a beat; then, sadly)

No one.

 

 

Scarlet hears the sadness in Black's voice.  He takes a step closer.

 

 

SCARLET

I did.  I escaped.  Perhaps it's not too late for you, either, Conrad...

 

 

BLACK

(re-centering his gun aim on Scarlet)

No one escapes.  Not the people below.  Not the rest of the city.  Not Spectrum.  No one.  Our revenge will be slow but nonetheless effective.

 

 

SCARLET

(re-aims at Black)

Their revenge, Conrad.  Not yours.

 

 

BLACK

Conrad Turner is dead.  So is Paul Metcalfe.   We are all that is left of them.

 

 

SCARLET

I don't believe that.  I never have.  And I never will.

 

 

Suddenly, the Angels swoop in, dropping metal mesh netting onto the street below.

 

 

BLACK

Metal mesh.  Clever.  But a Mysteron gun of any form requires electricity.

 

 

Black closes his eyes.  Scarlet cringes and holds his head, his Mysteron sense detecting Black's communication with his masters.  There is a brief moment of non-activity, and then lights all around them wink out, leaving only backup generators to power such items as surveillance cameras.  Scarlet looks around frantically.

 

 

BLACK (continued)

Spectrum has miscalculated our resolve.  We never make mistakes, Scarlet.

 

 

As the storm intensifies, lightning strikes the roof of a nearby building, setting it afire.  Scarlet stares at the fire, transfixed.  A sudden realization comes into his eyes.

 

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-16B>

 

 

 

 

<Attachment #30:  Personal journal of Captain Scarlet, dated 18 January 2069>

 

 

"We never make mistakes."

 

I can still hear Captain Black's words echoing in my ears, mocking me.  But he was wrong.

 

As the lightning struck the building across from us, setting the roof afire, every answer I have been seeking for almost a year came to me.

 

I remembered the last moments of my life before the accident — the car spinning out of control, flying over the embankment, tumbling and exploding.

 

I remembered struggling out of the car, trying to escape. I remembered how badly my head hurt...how hard it was to move...how heavy my body felt.

 

I remembered seeing Brown, thrown from the car further up the embankment.  I remembered trying to get to him.

 

I remembered stumbling and rolling back down the embankment, and the pain growing worse.

 

I remembered then being unable to move... unable to breathe... and then the heat of a brilliant light shining down on me.

 

At that moment, the "near-death experiences" I had seen in my dreams came to me.

 

That was when I realized the truth.

 

<end of Personal journal>

 

 

 

<Attachment #31:  Video File #4871237-16C, dated 18 January 2069 -- Empire State Building, New York City--various observation deck cameras>

 

 

Scarlet turns to Black, his expression incredulous.

 

 

SCARLET

(quietly)

I wasn't dead.

(a beat; then, more confident)

I wasn't dead!

(into the air)

So you never make mistakes, do you?  You made one with me!  I wasn't dead when you took me!  I'd only lost vital activity!  You took me too soon!

(laughs)

And that's why I came back--you gave me up too soon, too!  You didn't wait to see if the fall was going to really destroy me, so you let me go!  But because I wasn't truly dead to begin with, I came back!  That's two mistakes you've made so far!  And you never make mistakes?

 

 

BLACK

What are you babbling about?

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-16C>

 

 

 

<Attachment #32:  Video File #4871237-16D, dated 18 January 2069 -- Empire State Building, New York City--various street-level surveillance cameras>

 

At that moment, lightning hits the street.  The mega-voltage travels along the metal mesh that has entangled many Mysteron pawns of evil, killing them instantly.  Bodies literally lie everywhere.

 

<End of Video File #4871237-16D>

 

 

 

<Attachment #33:  Video File #4871237-16E, dated 18 January 2069 -- Empire State Building, New York City--various observation deck cameras>

 

 

Scarlet and Black watch the scene below as the area momentarily lights with the flash of electric energy.  Black looks horrified.  Scarlet smiles wickedly, then karate-kicks Black's gun from his hand.  Spectrum has just regained the upper hand.

 

SCARLET

(levels gun at Black)

Third mistake:  You're not retrometabolic.  I can only feel you when you're talking to your masters.  That's why they guard you so jealously.  That's why no body was ever found in the M.E.V.

(into the air)

Release him to us or I'll kill him where he stands.  Either way, you lose.

 

 

BLACK

Paul.

 

 

Scarlet is caught off-guard.  The voice is that of the real Captain Black, the one who disappeared after the Zero-X mission, not the dolorous tones of the Mysterons.

 

 

SCARLET

(lowers his gun)

Conrad?

 

 

BLACK

(real voice)

Paul, help me...

 

 

Black falls limp.  Scarlet comes over to him.

 

 

SCARLET

Hold on, Conrad.  I'll get help...

 

 

BLACK

(voice of the Mysterons)

It is you who will need help, Scarlet.

 

 

He picks up his gun, jabs it into Scarlet's abdomen, and fires twice.  Scarlet collapses to the rooftop.

 

 

BLACK (continued)

(gets to his feet)

Prepare to die, Captain Scarlet.

 

 

He reaches down to pick up Scarlet.  Scarlet manages to use his leverage advantage and roll both of them to the railings.  Black hauls Scarlet up by his uniform collar and tries to flip him over the side, but Scarlet uses every ounce of strength left in him and reverses the advantage, pushing Black to a precarious position atop the railings.

 

 

BLACK (continued)

You can't win, Scarlet...we will meet again...

 

 

With that, he vanishes into thin air, causing Scarlet to lose his balance on the railings and tumble over the side.  He tries to hang on to the railings, but his grip begins to slip on the icy metal.  Suddenly, Captain Blue, wearing the SPV's jet pack and a Radio Helmet, swoops up behind him and grabs him around the chest.

 

 

BLUE

Gotcha, Paul.  Let go and grab the handles.

 

 

Scarlet grabs the jet pack's steering handles weakly.  Blue lifts them up into the air and gently lands on the roof, lying Scarlet down on his back.  Blue kneels beside him, gently cradling his head.  He sees the blood on Scarlet's mid-section and cringes.

 

 

BLUE (continued)

(into Radio Helmet microphone)

Blue to Control--Mysteron force is mostly neutralized.  Ground forces are cleaning up the remaining ones with Mysteron rifles.  Captain Black has escaped.  Captain Scarlet is critically injured.  Request helicopter at Empire State Building observation deck immediately.

 

 

WHITE'S VOICE

(over speakers)

On its way, Captain Blue.  Well done.   Cloudbase out.

 

 

SCARLET

(weak, dying)

I had him, Adam.  I had him and he got away.

 

 

BLUE

I know.  I saw.  You did all you could.  Rest now.

 

 

SCARLET

(weaker still, barely audible)

The Mysterons make mistakes, Adam.  They make mistakes.  Black isn't really one of them.  And neither am I...

 

 

Scarlet's strength ebbs, and he dies in Blue's arms.  Blue bows his head sadly, as if in prayer for the quick return of Scarlet's soul.

 

 

<End of Video File #4871237-16E>

 


 

 

<Attachment #33:  Video File #4871237-16F, dated 19 January 2069 -- Spectrum Cloudbase Control Room cameras>

 

It is the early morning hours of 19 January 2069; the timestamp reads "08:35 -- 19/1/69".  Nearly everyone on Cloudbase has worked round the clock cleaning up the mess of the Mysterons' latest attempt to destroy the world.  Standing before Colonel White's round desk are Captain Scarlet--as usual, fully recovered from his injuries--Captain Blue, Destiny Angel, Dr. Fawn, and Dr. Hollander, being watched carefully by Captain Ochre.  White is going over some reports.  He looks exhausted.

 

 

WHITE

Latest reports from Captain Grey and Captain Magenta say that New York City is almost back to normal.  The last of the Mysterons' pawns of evil appear to be destroyed.  I wish to commend all of you for your fine work.  Thanks to you, a potential disaster was averted.  Nothing can change the fact that many fine   people died.  We can only be grateful it was not worse.

(to Scarlet)

Captain Scarlet, I would especially like to commend you on your efforts to apprehend Captain Black.  Although the attempt was a failure, we learned a great deal about the Mysterons and their behavior.  I would also like to extend a personal apology on behalf of all of Spectrum for ever doubting your loyalty, your sincerity, and your inner strength, and for allowing something like this to go on.  You have always been one of our finest officers, and if I were not certain of that before, your performance on this last mission dispelled any doubts I may have had.    I can only hope we can put this whole incident behind us.

 

 

SCARLET

I would very much like that, sir.

 

 

WHITE

(to Hollander)

Now--as for you, Dr. Hollander...were it not for the fact that you were on a mission from the World President himself, I would have you arrested and charged with treason.   Fortunately, President Younger had warned me that he was testing all the internal security of the various world security organizations.   He didn't say how, or when.  I suppose we know now.

 

 

HOLLANDER

Yes, sir.  I suppose I should have told you.  I thought with my background in military security, I could walk in here, gain your trust, and uncover all your weaknesses easily.    I guess my skills are rusty--Captain Ochre certainly caught me quickly enough.

 

 

WHITE

You should also feel fortunate our paths never crossed when I headed up the Universal Secret Service.  But I never thought one of our own   would try to breach our security like this.

 

 

HOLLANDER

Who better than an insider?

 

 

WHITE

True indeed.  But your reward will be short-lived.  I understand you lost a rather substantial wager with the World President.

 

 

HOLLANDER

(blushes)

Yes, sir, I did.

 

 

SCARLET

(interested)

And what was that?

 

 

HOLLANDER

(even deeper blush)

I bet the World President that Spectrum had not told the truth about Captain Scarlet's condition--that he really could remember what   he had done as a Mysteron, that he really could remember kidnapping the World President, and that I could find proof in Dr. Fawn’s notes and private Spectrum mission records unreleased to him or to lower-level Spectrum staff.  I mean, the whole idea that the whole incident could be that quickly forgotten just didn’t seem possible to me as a biochemist and researcher.

(turns to Scarlet)

Now, of course, I understand that what you really have is more like a severe case of amnesia, made more acute by the fact that you weren't really dead but instead comatose in a way.  The memories may indeed be there, but I don’t think there's anything in our technology that can get to them.  Maybe someday.

 

 

WHITE

(sharply)

You wagered the entire bounty you were to have   received from the World President.  Gambling on duty is a most serious offense--were it not for the fact I had promised the World President no reprisals over the security checks, I would ask for your resignation.  As it is, I am placing you on administrative leave for two weeks and ordering you off Cloudbase immediately.

 

 

HOLLANDER

Yes, sir.  I'll leave immediately.  I need to arrange transportation to the surface.

 

 

SCARLET

Colonel, with your permission, I'd like to escort Dr. Hollander back to Spectrum Medical Center.

(glances at Hollander)

It might give us both a chance to clear the   air.

 

 

Hollander smiles, pleased and surprised at this turn of events.

 

 

WHITE

(mildly surprised; then, almost fatherly)

Very well, then.  Dismissed.

 

<End of Video File #4871237-16F>

 

 

 

<Attachment #34:  Personal journal of Captain Scarlet, dated 19 January 2069>

 

The mission codenamed "Pawns Of Evil" ended quietly in an all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia, where Dr. Hollander and I shared a meal.  I can safely say that after indulging my post-recovery appetite, I was probably as welcome in that particular portion of Atlanta as General Sherman had been.

 

Dr. Hollander and I discussed a good many things in the hours we shared:  The direction this war has taken, the scientific potential of retrometabolism, the differences between baseball and cricket, and which wine goes best with snapper.  All in all, a not altogether unpleasant encounter.

 

I was, however, struck by my complete lack of interest in pursuing any further contact with Dr. Hollander.  It was almost as if I knew that any relationship would be clouded by the deception she used to gain access to my deepest secrets.  I knew that Colonel White was right--this whole incident would be best put behind us all as soon as possible, and that the less I allowed myself to indulge in something like this, the better.

 

I do believe, however, that I am ready to move on in other ways in my life.  I will perhaps always doubt my humanity to some degree--after all, I am still physically Paul Metcalfe's indestructible clone, regardless of what my mind and memories say.  But it may be time to put the past behind me...to experience life again...to finally allow myself to fully pursue the budding relationship I have with Dianne Simms, my beautiful Rhapsody Angel. In many ways, it will be yet another step on my journey to freedom from the Mysterons.

 

<End of Personal journal>

 

 

<END OF TRANSCRIPT>

 

 

 

BACK TO PART 1
 
 

HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE PAGE

 

OTHER STORIES FROM KIMBERLY MURPHY

 

OTHER STORIES FROM B. LYNN BIVENS

 

 ‘FAN FICTION ARCHIVES’ PAGE

 

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site