Original series Suitable for all readers 

 

 

Your Call is Important to Us...

 

 

A ‘Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons’ short story

By Keryn

 

 

The more things change, the more they stay the same. - Alphonse Karr (1808-1890)

 

 

Maybe it was sunspots, or maybe it was excessive static interference from Earth’s overabundance of  satellites…or maybe it was after a Mysteron retrometabolic checkup and there was a glitch somewhere.  In any case, the end result was clear - the Mysterons had a problem…

 

7:20am

 

‘CLICK! (STATIC)

 

“Thank you for using the World Telephone and Data Communications System.  Please select from the following options: Press ‘Button 1’ for ‘Videophone’ or press ‘Button 2’  for ‘Voice Only’.  Thank you.  You have selected ‘Voice Only’.  Your call is being connected.”

 

(CONNECTING) (STATIC)

 

THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS…

 

“This is Spectrum Headquarters, Cloudbase.  If you want Command and Control press ‘Button 1’, if you want General Enquiries press ‘Button 2’, if you want Medical Services press ‘Button 3’, if you want Maintenance and Engineering press ‘Button 4’, if you want…”

 

‘BUTTON 1’ (DIAL TONE)

 

“Thank you for calling Command and Control…. If you want Colonel White press ‘Button 1’, if you want Lieutenant Green press ‘Button 2’, if you want the Officers’ Lounge press ‘Button 3’, if you want the Amber Room press ‘Button 4’…”

 

‘BUTTON 1’ (DIAL TONE) (OPEN LINE)

 

THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS.  WE…

 

“I’m sorry, Colonel White is unavailable at this time. You are being re-routed to our General Enquiries department.  (LONG PAUSE)  All our operators are busy at the moment. You will be connected as soon as a member of our staff is available.”

 

* * * * *

 

7:30am

 

‘CLICK! (STATIC)

 

THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS…

 

(MUZAK)  “Please note: this call may be recorded for training purposes.  We thank you for your patience...”

 

…WE KNOW…

 

“Your message has been placed in a queue.  I’m sorry, all our oper…”

 

…THAT YOU CAN…

 

“A Spectrum staff member will be with you shortly.  Your call is important to us…” (CALL DISCONNECTED)

 

&*$%$!!! ‘CLICK! (STATIC)

 

THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS…

 

????? (DIAL TONE) (RECORDING)

 

“At the third stroke the time will be 7:35 and fifty seconds… Beep. Beep. Beep.  At the third stroke the time will be 7:36 precisely… Beep. Beep. Beep.  At the third stroke…”

 

OOPS! ‘CLICK! (STATIC)

 

THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS. WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US EARTHMEN…

 

“Due to the high demand for services at this time, your message has been placed in a queue…” (MESSAGE REPEATS)

 

* * * * *

 

7:42am

 

‘CLICK! (STATIC)

 

THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS…

 

“Hello.  This is Lieutenant Green.  I can’t come to the phone right now.  Please leave a message after the tone.”

 

…WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US EARTHMEN…

 

(PAUSE)  “Please try again after the tone…” (CALL DISCONNECTED)

 

* * * * *

 

7:50am

 

!!#*$#?/&*$#**!!! ‘CLICK! (STATIC)

 

THIS IS THE…

 

“Spectrum is currently trialing a voice-activated system.  Please speak clearly…”

 

…VOICE OF…

 

“…. I’m sorry there is no department named ‘VOICEOFF’.  Please try again.”

 

…THE MYSTERONS…

 

“There are no ‘MYSTERONS’ currently on Cloudbase.  Please hold the line. An operator will be with you shortly.  (LONG PAUSE)  All our staff are busy at the moment.  We thank you for your patience.”

 

…WE KNOW THAT…

 

“Due to an unprecedented demand on our network, we are unable to process your message at this time.  Please stand by as we redirect your call to the main Spectrum Call Centre in Unity City.”

 

(CONNECTING)

 

“This is the Spectrum Call Centre at Unity City.  All our lines are busy at the moment.  Please call back later.”

 

* * * * *

 

8:10am

 

‘CLICK! (STATIC)

 

THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS.  WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US EARTHMEN.  FOR YOUR UNPROVOKED ATTACK ON OUR MARTIAN COMPLEX WE WILL…

 

“You have reached Spectrum Headquarters, Cloudbase.  Would you like to take part in our Telephone Customer Service Survey?  For ‘YES’ press ‘Button 1’…”

 

* * * * *

 

8:20am

 

At the Mysteron Complex:

“OUR PLANS TO DISRUPT THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM ON EARTH HAS FAILED.  THE EARTHMEN SEEM TO HAVE MANAGED IT FOR THEMSELVES.  WE WILL HAVE TO WAGE AN ALTERNATIVE CAMPAIGN OF TERROR.”

 

 

T H E   E N D

 

 

 

Author’s Note:

 

For anyone who might have wondered if the Mysterons were behind this popular (sic) means of communication…the short answer is: No.  They couldn’t get through either: the message being don’t ring now!  This story is for L. who doggedly remained on the line and was finally connected to a human.

 

 

OTHER STORIES BY KERYN

 

BACK TO FAN FICTION PAGE

 

END CREDITS CHALLENGE PAGE

 

BACK TO  “FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

 

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site