PRESENTED BY CONNIE G AKA LUVMYLOPS

You have the choice between five patterns, as followed:

CGI Captain Scarlet Pumpkin Carving Pattern.jpg (140731 octets)

CGI Captain Black Pumpkin Carving Pattern.jpg (119712 octets)

 

easier cgi captain scarlet_pattern.jpg (119750 octets)

Spectrum Symbol.jpg (69699 octets)

Easier CGI Captain Black_pattern.jpg (112075 octets)

 

The first two have been commissioned and designed by MasterpiecePumkins.com.  The 'Easier' patterns was home-designed,  of course following the original patterns above, and the Spectrum Symbol, is also home designed.   You just need to click on the reduced pictures  above to access each pattern in their original size, that you can then save and print.  You can of course adjust the size according to your needs.  The parts marked in black are to be carved, while the parts marked in grey are to be sculpted (removing the hard skin only).  The two 'Easier' patterns only have parts to be carved.

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Choose a pattern. Patterns can range from easy to challenging.

  2. Select a pumpkin. Pumpkins can range in size from tiny to enormous. I recommend a medium-sized pumpkin, about 10-15 lbs., for the best carving results. Select a pumpkin that is smooth and uniform in color. Make sure your pumpkin has no mold, bruises, cuts or soft spots. It should be large enough to accomodate your pattern and of a similar shape. If you find the perfect pumpkin, and it doesn’t have a stem, never fear! You can cut an opening on the bottom just as you would the top.  Then simply sit your carved pumpkin over your light source.

  3. Prepare Your Workspace. Pumpkin carving is as messy as it is fun, so prepare your workspace. Cover a table with newspaper, so you can simply roll up and dispose of the mess when you’re finished. Set out a below to collect the seeds for roasting later. Don’t forget your pattern(s), tools, tape, and paper towels.

  4. Cut A Lid. Draw a circle around the stem of your pumpkin about 2/3 of the diameter of the pumpkin. To make the lid easier to replace, you can also make a 5 or 6 sided shape. Carefully cut along your line with a large kitchen knife (I recommend a Pumpkin Masters tool kit), angling the blade toward the center of the pumpkin. If cutting the bottom, simply cut straight into the pumpkin.

  5. Scrape Out Your Pumpkin. With a large spoon or scoop, scrape out the seeds and strings from your pumpkin. The side you plan to carve should have a pumpkin wall about 1” thick, so scrape any excess inner pulp from that side. Save the seeds for roasting.

  6. Attach Pumpkin Pattern. Choose the side of your pumpkin you want to carve. Make sure your pattern is the right size for your pumpkin. You might need to use a photocopier to enlarge or reduce the pattern to fit. If the pattern you selected is challenging, it will be easier to carve if you enlarge it. Reducing it will make it harder to carve. Trim the pattern, leaving about ½” from the outside edge of the design. Tape your pattern to your pumpkin, taping the top first, then the bottom and lastly the sides. The pattern should fit smoothly, so make small folds or cut slashes on the outside edge of the paper to fit it to your pumpkin. Another method you can use if you are an experienced pumpkin carver is to glue the pattern to the pumpkin. Trim the pattern as before and coat the back of the pattern with glue until fully covered. You will want enough glue to cover the entire surface of the back of the pattern. Spread evenly. Apply pattern onto the pumpkin while it is still wet. Pinch and form the pattern until it conforms to the surface of the pumpkin. This method takes patience as you must now wait for the glue to dry. If you’re impatient (like me), you can use a blow dryer to speed up the process. Believe it or not, using the blow dryer can have the pattern dry and ready in about 5 to 10 minutes

  7. Transferring Your Pattern. If you used the glue method, go onto the next step. Otherwise, use a poker tool along the lines of your pattern (push pins also work well). Simply press the pointed tip into the pumpkin’s surface, spacing holes about 1/8” apart. Complex and thin designs may require the dots to be a little closer together. When all the lines of your pattern are transferred onto the pumpkin’s surface, remove the pattern and look at your work. If the pattern is hard to see, connect the dots with a marker or pen. Save the paper pattern to refer to while carving your design.

  8. Carve Your Design. Before you start cutting on your pumpkin, you will need to decide how you want the finished piece to look. This will determine whether you will carve your design, (cut all the way thru) sculpt it, or use a combination of both. At this point you have transferred your pattern. You will not carve a design any differently for a pattern that was transferred by poking or by gluing. Simply because your pattern calls for some sculpting, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s difficult. The trick is to keep track of which areas are to be sculpted and which are to be carved straight thru. Of particular concern are sculpted areas that border details that must be carved. Often, by first cutting “straight thru” the details that border the areas to be sculpted, it will frame the area to be sculpted. This is called “Outline by Carving”. Although this approach prevents losing your transferred pattern lines, it can present a challenge with some patterns because the resulting areas to be sculpted are now weakened. Sculpting in weakened areas can be frustrating and prone to mistakes. The easiest way to avoid trying to sculpt in weak areas is to start by carving the sculpted areas of the design first and is best using the glue method. Begin by cutting the outline of the ‘gray’ area of the pattern with an Exacto knife, and then lifting this area away. Sculpting thru the paper gums up your tools, so I don’t recommend it. The surface of the pumpkin is slick enough that the glued paper will normally peel away easily. The object here, remember, is to remove the skin of the pumpkin without cutting all the way thru. I like to take the quickest (and messiest) route to get there by using a Dremel tool. Remember to start by cutting out the small details first! When finished sculpting, finish by cutting out the rest of the pattern. When you have completed the carving, the glued pattern will normally peel right away. Occasionally, I have had to wet the pattern by soaking it in a sink or putting a wet wash cloth over for about 10-15 minutes. Then the remaining paper and glue will wipe easily away.

  9. Preserve Your Creation. Pumpkins are 90% water, so your carved pumpkin can easily shrivel up or grow mold. After carving, coat all cut surfaces with ‘Pam’ cooking spray, or 1 cup of water mixed with lemon juice. Storing your carved pumpkin in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap or a damp towel can also prolong its life. Soaking the “carved” portion in a sink of water also works wonders!

  10. Add lighting effect. When your pumpkin is ready to use, put a candle at the very bottom of it.  See the effect on the various carved areas of your pumpkin!

The three steps for the Captain Scarlet's pumpkin carving.

CGI Captain Scarlet Pumpkin Carving Pattern.jpg (140731 octets)

 

CGI Captain Black Pumpkin Carving Pattern.jpg (119712 octets)

The three steps for the Captain Black's pumpkin carving.

 

The Easier Captain Scarlet pattern doesn't have areas to sculpt, only to carve right through and remove the sections marked in black. 

easier cgi captain scarlet_pattern.jpg (119750 octets)

 

Easier CGI Captain Black_pattern.jpg (112075 octets)

Likewise for the Captain Black's easier pattern.

 

The Spectrum symbol, in three steps.

Spectrum Symbol.jpg (69699 octets)

 

CGI Captain Scarlet and Captain Black, made on 'fake pumpkins'.  Fake pumpkins give very nice results, but are rather difficult to carve.

 

FAN FICTION'S  RELATED CARVINGS:

GIZMO and SPIKE, from the movie "Gremlins" (1985) - which in turn inspired the three-parts Captain Scarlet/Gremlins crossover "Trouble with Mogwai", by Chris Bishop.

 

'Midnight stallion' - could be the Pooka from Tiger Jackson's story "A Mid-autumn Night's Mare".

'Snarling Wolf' - The werewolf story from Chris Bishop and Ono, "Curse of the Wolf"

 

BACK TO  “HALLOWEEN FANFIC” PAGE

BACK TO HALLOWEEN PICTURES

BACK TO  “FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site