Original series Suitable for all readers


Notes: This and most of my later fan-fictions take place in an alternate universe, where the canon characters and story lines are the same, but some elements in the universe have been tweaked.

The Unexpected Angel


By Parker Boots

30th June, 2073 – 180 days since the end of the war with the Mysterons.

The Residence of Charlotte Brun, Foxley Heath, England

Charlotte Brun, having been a captain at Euro-Charter, and then Air Terrainean, had very much felt the effects of the Mysteron war. The attacks on aircraft and pilots fueled a wide-spread fear of traveling via air. No one wanted to be in the middle of a Mysteron attack, and no-fly orders were issued on a frequent basis.

With airlines losing customers, and sometimes being unable to operate due to no-fly orders, the need for pilots and aircraft fell into a sharp decline. Aircraft were being mothballed, and employees of every sort were being either sacked or furloughed. Even after the war, these ripple effects continued, as the airlines struggled to recover from the massive loss of customers.

And Charlotte had been one of the unlucky ones.

During a very weak summer season, and despite having worked for Air Terrainean over the last 8 years, she’d been unexpectedly furloughed today. The only bright spot was a compensation check given to her by Eric Lane, manager of human resources at Air Terrainean’s London office. She’d reluctantly left the office, visibly depressed by the news, and drove back to her house in Foxley Heath, under a late evening sky.

After stopping in from of her home, she exited her dark blue Esprit with her purse, lifting her blue suitcase out of the boot, and proceeded to the door.

Never one for being in large groups of people, she lived a nice, quiet life in in a classic English cottage, with stone walls and a tile roof, surrounded by a few trees on either side presently in full bloom.

Reaching the entryway, she opened the door. Her Corgi, Douglas, was patiently waiting for her, desiring some affection.

Charlotte gladly obliged, a bright spot in a depressing day. “Who’s a good dog, who’s a good dog, yes you are, yes you are! Now let’s head inside, you’re probably a hungry little beast.”


Closing the door behind her, she picked the mail up, as her Corgi waited patiently. Then Charlotte went to the kitchen to feed Douglas, turning lights on along the way.

After Douglas’s needs were satisfied, Charlotte proceeded to her study, turning on more lights along the way. After placing the suitcase and purse to one side, she sat down at her desk, and proceeded to lay out the mail.

On the desk were a stationery set, her laptop, and a picture which meant quite a bit to her. It was of Charlotte and the former Chief Security officer of Euro-Charter, a previous colleague of hers, and a very good friend.

Charlotte gave off an exasperated sigh, reminiscing about their now-lost friendship. Dianne, our personalities were opposites, but we shared common bonds, which forged a strong friendship. You taught me so much, and I’ll carry those with me for the rest of my life. I could’ve sworn I saw you with the Spectrum Angels, but I was never able to figure out who they really were, and I’d rather not tempt fate. Regardless, I hope you’re happy, and still battling the demons of the world, wherever you are.

Placing the picture down, she began to work through the mail. First was a letter from her parents, who had long supported her interest in aviation and flying. It was of them wishing her well, and giving her a small update.

“Dear Charlotte,

We hope you are doing well in these trying times. Airbus is struggling quite a bit to maintain orders which makes me worried, as I could be furloughed. While it is better than being laid off, it does not help with the finances.

Your mother has been faring rather better though, as people still love to talk to each other, even when the world is still reeling from the war. She recently got a promotion, and a nice raise, which will help very much around the house.

We hope you’ll be in the air, and we will see you again soon sometime.

With much love,

Mum and Dad.”

Charlotte wasn’t looking forward to telling her parents that she’d been grounded for the foreseeable future, and through no fault of her own. She’d prepare that later.

Putting the letter aside, she finally reached the envelope given to her by Eric Lane, and proceed to open it. There was the check Eric Lane mentioned, but another piece of paper was wrapped around it.

As she unfolded the piece of paper, she wasn’t quite prepared for what was written on it. At the top of the letter, was Spectrum’s distinctive logo, the rainbow roundel, with Spectrum typed below it.

Charlotte was both surprised and confused. Why would Spectrum, a counter-intelligence organization, want me? Wouldn’t someone with proper military training be better, and not just some lessons from a former spy? And who really is Eric Lane?

She began to read it, figuring it was some sort of mistake.

“Dear Charlotte Brun,

As you know, Spectrum is an elite organization that goes above and beyond in combating threats to the entire world, doing what other organizations cannot do. As our name suggests, we deal with a spectrum of threats, and that requires a spectrum of people. We look for the best in every field, from pilots to ground forces, to medical personnel.

Based on a profile we have prepared on you, we have found you a worthy candidate to join our organization. Thus, we invite you to join Spectrum as an Angel pilot, a role which we consider most suitable for you within the organization.

If you wish to accept this commission, please head to the W.A.A.F base at Boscombe Down, Wiltshire within two weeks of receiving this letter, presenting it when you arrive at the base.

We hope to see you soon.

Colonel White.

Commander-In-Chief of Spectrum.”

It wasn’t. It was her name at the top, and it was for a position as pilot.

She leaned back in her chair, and picked up a model of Airbus’s Supersonic Airliner, the Concorde IX, one of the many aircraft models she owned. She fiddled with the drooping nose of the model to help her think, then placed the model back down.

She opened her laptop to check the distance to the base. It was a little over a 2 hour drive.

“That’s not a long trip. It might just be worth the bother, if only to fly again. And I might just figure out who the Angels really are.”

Closing her laptop and giving Douglas a few more rubs, she proceed to the upstairs bedroom. Upon reaching it, Charlotte changed out of her captain’s uniform into a silky dark blue nightgown with frilly trim, and flopped down on her bed, ready to get some well-deserved sleep.

****

1st July – Spectrum Eagle Base, Boscombe Down, Wiltshire

Having successfully gone through the security checkpoints, and navigated the vast complex that was the combined W.A.A.F. and Eagle Base, she’d arrived at the commander’s office for Eagle Base, purse and letter in hand, wearing a navy blue two-piece suit with a light blue undershirt and matching pants. She gave a gentle knock on the door.

“Come in.”

She entered the office, the command centre of the base. The walls were peppered with blinking lights, various screens were placed in strategic locations, and the desk was covered in controls, reminiscent of a flight engineer’s console. Seated in the desk was a man in the plain charcoal turtleneck and pants. With his clean, sharp features, freshly combed brown hair, and blue eyes, he gave off an air of authority.

“May I see the letter you received from us?”

Charlotte obliged, handing the letter to the commander. He studied it for a while, and handed it back to her.

“Well, Ms Brun, welcome to Spectrum Eagle Base. I am Major Robert Morrison, Eagle Base commander. How do you do?” He held out his hand.

She obliged, giving the commander a firm handshake. “Charlotte Brun, pilot for Air Terrainean. The pleasure is mine.”

“Please do sit down.”

As Charlotte sat down, Morrison continued his introduction. “I assume you have some questions. Please do feel free to ask away. Spectrum doesn’t want to leave candidates too much in the dark these days. That sometimes didn’t work out quite the way we expected. Although, since much of Spectrum is classified, I cannot answer all of them. Hopefully you understand.”

“I do sir,” she replied, starting to feel a little uncomfortable.

“I can tell that you’re rather uncomfortable at the moment. That’s quite all right. I do understand you’ve been recently furloughed.”

“Yes, I have,” she said, wondering how they knew she was furloughed.

“Spectrum is a well-funded organization, and we will be able pay you as much, if not more, than what you made at Air Terrainean.”

“I did not come here solely for the money. I came here because I want to fly again.”

“Well, we can certainly oblige. As to why you’ve been asked to join, we have a pilot shortage. We asked 5 pilots to fill a 24-hour cycle, divided into four-hour shifts. As you may have figured out, that was an extremely poor move on Spectrum’s part. Therefore, we had to seek out a pilot, and you were an excellent candidate for the position.”

Charlotte began scratching her head in confusion. “That sounds perfectly reasonable, but what do I have that you want?”

“Two things: First, over the years, you’ve flown a wide variety of aircraft, which is always desirable. Second, for someone so reserved, shy, and quiet, you have a commendable ability to keep a crisis under control. We know of your outstanding efforts in dealing with mechanical failures and defusing various terrorist situations. I should also mention that you came highly recommended by one of the Angel pilots.”

“And I assume you cannot tell me who recommended me?”

“You’re quite correct.”

Charlotte began to wonder if this was all that it seemed. “I’m still wondering why you’d choose a commercial pilot over someone with more experience in air combat.”

“Your skills are a rarity among pilots in all sectors. And I’m sure you’ll adapt quickly to the principles of air combat. You are a rather capable woman.“

“Is there something I’m missing?” she asked, now even more curious about the circumstances.

“Yes, and I do hope you’re ready for this one. While it’s not bad per se, it can come as quite a shock to many. As you know, the Angels, much like all Spectrum personnel, are the best of the best, hand-picked well in advance, much like yourself. And not all of them have military experience, as a few of the girls came from air taxi companies and charter airlines.”

“I know that the Angels are an all-female team, but I don’t quite understand why a male pilot cannot be with the Angels. I worked with male officers at both Euro-Charter and Air Terrainean, and we maintained good working relationships.”

“The fact that you mentioned that all the Angels are female pilots is the core issue behind why we’ve had considerable difficulty acquiring a sixth pilot.”

“And why is that?”

Morrison finally delivered the kicker. “The charter for Spectrum states that the Angel Pilots will all be women.”

“All the Angel pilots are required to be women?! Is that a joke?” Charlotte exclaimed, blown away by the seemingly ridiculous nature of the statement.

“I assure you, it is not. Are you inherently opposed to the concept?’

“No, sir, but it sounds rather silly! Wouldn’t it be more reasonable to have both male and female pilots?”

Morrison began his explanation. “I’m inclined to agree. But according to the Spectrum charter, the goal of an all-female squadron was to build upon the success of the W.A.A.F’s Women’s Fighter Squadron, and give the enemy a rather interesting surprise, as male pilots still tend to be the dominant force in the armed forces. Having an all-female squadron being the best fighter pilots out there would be something our adversaries would least expect.”

“I very much understand, sir,” she said, having not quite recovered from the shock.

Morrison continued. “It’s a rare opportunity to work with pilots very much like yourself in every way, and considering your return to flying for Air Terrainean is an uncertain prospect, I would accept it myself if I was under similar circumstances.”

There was a brief pause as Charlotte felt she’d be put under a spotlight.

“It’s quite literally, a once in a lifetime opportunity. You can decline of course, but that decision is final. You cannot reconsider. So, do you want to rise into the heavens and join the Angels? Or do you want to go back to the life you had?”

Charlotte fell silent again, thinking about all events that had culminated in this point in time.

Morrison gently reminder her about his duties as commander of Eagle Base. “We cannot be here all day, Ms. Brun. I do have to run Eagle Base, and if necessary I will have you escorted out.”

Charlotte finally broke the silence. “I accept the offer to join Spectrum, and train to become an Angel pilot. I will serve Spectrum to the best of my ability.”

“I’m glad to hear that. I’ll have one of my officers escort you to your quarters. Welcome to Spectrum, Charlotte Brun.”

****

29th December – Officers’ Mess, Cloudbase

Having fetched her breakfast beforehand, Rhapsody Angel waited patiently for her eating companion, Symphony Angel. Ever since they were introduced to each other, they had struck up a strong friendship, with their overall positive personalities, their shared background as secret agents, and both being in a romantic relationship with a Captain. The mess hall today was relatively quiet, clean, and rather empty, giving them the opportunity to speak a little more freely.

Rhapsody looked up to see a golden blonde-haired female officer, wearing the distinctive cream and gold Angel uniform, now sans the colourful Spectrum roundel, having been replaced some time ago with a gold silhouetted version, enter the mess hall. She fetched her breakfast, and sat down in front of Rhapsody.

“Hi, Karen!”

Symphony replied, “Always a pleasure to see you, Dianne. It’s been a while since we’ve been able to talk one-on-one alone.”

Rhapsody began on a high note. “So, this is the day we find out who we find out who our new working partner, Concerto Angel, is.”

“Something we desperately needed during the Mysteron war, as all of us are worn out. Four hours on-four hours off sure is tiring,” Symphony said, expressing the frustration of all the Angels

Rhapsody remained upbeat. “Indeed it was rather frustrating, but we won the war, and this feels like a fabulous victory gift.”

“Indeed it is, and it’s a massive relief. But, Dianne, is it still bothering you that this new pilot might be your old friend, Charlotte Brun?”

Rhapsody confirmed her friend’s suspicions. “I wish I could say it doesn’t bother me as much now, but today is the day we find out who she is. Her personality profile says she’s extremely intelligent, very nice, and very determined, but she also tends to be shy and reserved. That’s an excellent fit for Charlotte, and she was a pretty good pilot, and she’s almost certainly got better in the years since we saw each other last. And I taught her a few things from the spy world.”

“Well, we can always hope for the best,” Symphony pointed out.

“We certainly can, Karen, but we can’t choose candidates to join Spectrum directly. When we joined, we had to leave a lot of people behind. We can visit them and chat, but it’s not the same as working alongside them, sharing a common duty, working toward a common goal. And those we shared our secrets with, we now have to hide our secrets from them. There were some people at the Federal Agents Bureau and Euro-Charter that in my opinion would make great Spectrum personnel. We can recommend personnel, of course, but ultimately, it’s in the hands of the selection committee and Colonel White.”

Symphony very much felt the same way. “I think everyone here feels they know someone who’d be a great Spectrum asset, me included. I assume you did ask the colonel about Charlotte at some point?”

Rhapsody confirmed her friend’s question. “I most certainly did. Over a game of chess, I explained to the colonel that she would make an excellent addition to the Angels, crafting an argument based on her skills as a pilot. He listened with interest, and told me he’d forward it to the committee, and thanked me for the information. By the way, I won that game.”

“Well, you are one of Spectrum’s best chess players, but I’m glad Colonel White was willing to lend you an ear. Like I said, we can only hope for the best,” Symphony remarked

Just as Symphony and Rhapsody finished their breakfasts, the loudspeaker boomed with the distinctive, commanding voice of Colonel White.

“All Angels, please report to the conference room immediately.”

Rhapsody was eager to leave. “Well, Symphony, it’s time to leave, and we must not delay.”

“Agreed. Wouldn’t want to get on the colonel’s bad side, would we?” Symphony acknowledged her friend’s wishes. After both of them placed their dishes in the respective bins, the pair proceeded to the conference room.

***

Conference Room, Cloudbase

All five Spectrum Angels, dressed in their cream and gold uniforms, were seated at the conference table with Colonel White in the centre. Harmony Angel was preparing to type out the meeting notes.

Colonel White began. “I have gathered all of you here to make some important announcements regarding the Angels. Because these matters primarily concern the Angel Squadron, I wanted to inform you all first, then I shall inform the colour-code officers and the rest of the personnel.”

Destiny expressed pleasure that the Angels could meet by themselves. “It is most satisfying that we have a meeting to ourselves, is it not?”

The rest of the Angels nodded in agreement.

White continued: “First, this is something I should have done when Spectrum began, but certain circumstances have made this process of acquiring another Angel Pilot rather difficult. I am now proud to announce that we now have a sixth Angel Pilot, codenamed Concerto Angel. She has gone through the same rigorous training process as the rest of you, and she has performed admirably. She also has an impressive amount of flight hours, and has qualified on many aircraft. Therefore, Concerto Angel will have the same rank as the rest of the Angels.”

Destiny expressed her joy over the news. “Colonel White, this is a moment of great celebration for the Angels! We must no longer make sense of working a 24-hour shift with 5 pilots, and we shall no longer be short-staffed when one of us needs a vacation. Thank you sir.”

All the Angels soon joined in with Destiny in expressing their joy.

White continued: “Continuing on, I have a second announcement to make. Reading your reports on your difficulties with ground attacks has made me realize that while the Angel Interceptor initially suited our needs, it is now obsolete, and needs to be replaced. Based on these reports and other data that has been collected, I am proud to announce that a new multi-role fighter jet has been developed in-house by Spectrum, suited to the unique requirements of the Angels. Named the Gwynevere, this multi-role aircraft is not based on any existing airframe, but is of a new design. Development of this new fighter jet began in late 2069, during the war, but by the time development concluded, the Mysteron conflict came to an end. Still, this new fighter will very much be suited to the needs of Spectrum’s role in a post-Mysteron world.”

“Colonel, that was a mighty generous move on Spectrum’s part, givin ’ us something that is truly our own. Thank you very much, sir,” Melody Angel said, expressing her appreciation over the new jet.

“I’m glad to hear that, Melody Angel. The new craft will be arriving today, piloted by Concerto Angel. She has permission to use either the main runway or the Angel Landing Flap. Symphony and Melody Angels, you have been assigned to escort Concerto Angel and the SPJ carrying new color-code officers and other personnel to Cloudbase. When this meeting ends, return to the Amber Room, and await launch clearance. After you are both launched, intercept the squadron, which is to the east of Cloudbase. Is this understood?”

Symphony and Melody replied in turn.

“S.I.G.”

“S.I.G.”

Colonel White closed out the meeting. “It is my belief that these two major changes will build on top of those that have been made during the Mysteron conflict, and will let Spectrum get the most out of the Angels. You are all dismissed.”

After Harmony delivered her report to the colonel, the Angels headed back to the Amber Room.

Melody was curious about Harmony’s role as stenographer within the meetings. “Chan, remind me why the heck do you type out the meeting minutes for the colonel? Couldn’t a lieutenant do that just as well?”

“I have been noted for having excellent typing skills, and I consider it an honourable duty to ensure Colonel White’s meetings are recorded in an efficient fashion.”

“Fine by me.”

Rhapsody was still stuck on the awfully similar personality of Concerto to her past friend Charlotte, but kept that thought hidden from the rest of the Angels as they proceeded to the Amber Room, which had been reconfigured some time ago with a three-seat lift system, and had been expanded to suit.

The girls settled down onto the sofas, with Symphony and Melody closest to the lift shaft in preparation for the inevitable launch, with Rhapsody next to Symphony.

Melody, the test pilot, was curious about the new fighter. “So, anyone got info on our new toy? Having a multi-role is a fantastic boon for us, no longer having to force the Interceptors to hit ground targets. It was never fun havin ’ to point the nose down to get a shot off.”

“Well, they’re keeping a rather tight lid on it. Aside from the Colonel’s comments, it’s got a top speed of 4100 knots-” Symphony began.

“That’s approximately Mach 6! How they’d gonna expect us to handle that? Blood would be movin ’ fast to either our heads or feet.”

“I know they’ll come up with something,” Symphony reassured Melody. “I do know that we’re lying flatter compared to the interceptor.”

Just before the conversation got rolling, Lieutenant Green’s voice came over the loudspeaker.

“Angels 1 and 2, immediate launch.”

“S.I.G., Lieutenant.”

Symphony got up from the sofa. “Well, that’s our cue, Melody. It’s time to prepare the welcoming committee.”

“Couldn’t have said it better myself,” said Melody, as both herself and Symphony slipped on their flight gloves.

“We’ll all be waiting to give the new girl a fabulous welcome.” Rhapsody was ready to welcome the new Angel, whoever she might be.

Symphony and Melody, having taken the positions in the left and central seats of the now three-seat lift, began to rise up into the fighters.

***

200 Miles from Cloudbase, middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Charlotte Brun, having gone through the rigorous Angel training and passing with high marks, was now Concerto Angel. Now dressed in full Angel uniform with the distinctive Angel helmet and wearing the Angel sunglasses, her first assignment was to escort the SPJ containing the new color-code officers and other personnel to Cloudbase, and deliver the first production model of the new multi-role fighter, the craft she was piloting at the moment.

With its long, flat, slender nose and fuselage, with straight wings and a swept-back tail, the SPJ looked very much like a pint-sized supersonic airliner. It was of a tri-jet configuration, with one engine in the tail, and two jets slung under the wings. It looked sharp in white and blue paint, with a red stripe between the two, and the Spectrum roundels on the tail and cabin, crisply finishing off the look in style.

It was an uneventful trip, letting Concerto relax a little, and savour the experience of flying the Gwynevere. Both were some ways from Cloudbase, but would soon meet Angels 1 and 2.

A mid-western voice called in. “This is Symphony Angel, I have visual contact with SPJ 047 and Concerto Angel, will join formation.”

“Melody Angel here, I have visual contact with SPJ 047 and Concerto Angel, will join formation,” came the response in a distinct southeastern drawl.

Both Symphony and Melody streaked past the squadron to assume their positions. Neither Concerto nor the SPJ Pilot were fazed in the slightest.

Symphony introduced herself, with her distinctive mid-western accent. “Hello there, Concerto Angel, this is Angel 1, we’re here to guide you and SPJ 047 to Cloudbase.”

Then Melody spoke up with her distinctive drawl. “This is Angel 2. Just follow us home, you’ll be safe and warm soon enough.”

Concerto acknowledged. “S.I.G. Continuing flight path to Cloudbase.”

By this time, Symphony and Melody Angels had taken station in front and left of the SPJ.

Melody Angel spoke up again. “So, you’re the new girl with the new toy?”

Concerto replied, hiding some of her aviation nerd. “Yes, I’m the new Angel. And it is a pretty good jet.”

Cloudbase soon came into view. Despite being somewhat weather-beaten and faded, it was still an amazing sight to behold, the two flight decks and control tower just floating in a sea of air. Both the main runway and the Angel Flight deck were clear, ready to greet both the SPJ and all three Angels.

“Well, this is your new home, Concerto. What do you think?” Symphony asked.

Concerto replied, some of her aviation nerd beginning to creep out: “It’s an incredible sight. While I’ve flown some big commercial jets, to see what could be considered a small airport, just gracefully floating in the air, is incredible. It’s all so dreamy. No wonder some of the cadets were so anxious to be on Cloudbase, it’s an incredible piece of engineering!”

Symphony politely laughed, “I think they’re more anxious to work with the color-code captains than to marvel at Cloudbase’s engineering, but it’s still an impressive machine.”

Concerto was worried about something. This would be the first time she’d attempt to use the landing flap in real life. She’d gone through the motions in the simulator with both fighters, but this was not a controlled environment.

The folding wings of the Gwynevere were going to be of great use here, but it was still up to Concerto to land the thing.

“SPJ 047, requesting permission to use main flight deck.”

“Cloudbase to SPJ 047, you are cleared to land on the main flight deck,” Lieutenant Green replied, acknowledging the SPJ’s landing request.

“SPJ 047, S.I.G.”

As the SPJ broke formation to enter the traffic circle, Melody and Symphony finally were able to get a view of the new fighter.

Melody, the test pilot, was impressed. “That’s a rather sharp looking fighter there. While there’s that pointy nose of the Interceptor, that’s the only thing it has in common with what I’m flyin’. Big Canards, delta wings, twin engines, twin rear elevators, and dual tails, makes for a mighty impressive fighter. Though, I’m wonderin ’ what’s up with that split in the delta wing there.”

”Yes, it’s pretty good,” said Concerto, now just wanting to get to her new home, as the excitement of the piloting the Gwynevere had worn off.

The SPJ now having landed, Symphony requested permission for the Angel Flight Deck

“Angel Flight 1, requesting permission to land on Angel Flight Deck.”

“Angel Flight 1, permission to land granted. Proceed to Angel Flight Deck.”

As the three Angels began their circle around Cloudbase in preparation to land, Concerto engaged the swing wing mechanism of the new fighter, causing the delta wing to split in the middle, the upper portion folding back to create a swept-forward wing. This nearly doubled the wingspan, but massively increased controllability at slow speeds, which was just what Concerto needed.

“Now that’s impressive! Great controllability at slow speeds, and still able to move like a rocket when needed!” Melody exclaimed, extremely impressed by this swept-wing.

Symphony was also equally impressed. “Spectrum really did make something very unique for us! Now, Concerto, are you ready to use the landing flap?”

“S.I.G.”

“Great. Angels 1 and 2 will land first, so those nice swing-wings won’t get broken. Then you’ll come in and land. Do you copy, Concerto?”

“S.I.G., Symphony Angel.”

The landing flaps having deployed, Angels 1 and 2 put their aircraft into a stall, and gracefully landed on them. Once locked in, they lowered down, levelling off the deck.

Now, it was Concerto’s turn, as the last landing flap open was waiting for her arrival. Pointing the nose up, she began to put the Gwynevere into a stall, carefully adjusting the control surfaces and thrusters until she meet the landing pad.

She felt a slight bump as the jet finally met the landing pad, following by some mechanical clicks and latches. Her instruments confirmed that she was locked into the pad. Concerto let off a sigh of relief.

She’d done it.

After the wings were folded back in, the new fighter fit comfortably next to the two Interceptors.

***

Symphony, Melody, and Concerto were lowered into the Amber Room. After their chairs reached the bottom of the lift shaft, Concerto just stood up, while Symphony and Melody swiftly left to get back on the couch.

“Um…hi?” Concerto began, as she struggled to come up with an introduction.

Upon hearing Concerto’s words, the red-headed Angel swung her head around to face Concerto. As soon as they saw each other’s faces, both were swept up in a feeling of disbelief, like this could never happen again.

Having been separated for eight years, two friends were finally reunited. Rhapsody once again was able to see Concerto’s brown hair and eyes, and Concerto likewise with Rhapsody’s red hair and blue eyes.

“Charlotte, is that you?”, said Rhapsody, finally breaking the silence.

“Yes, Dianne, it’s really me.”

Much to the shock of Symphony and Melody Angels, Rhapsody promptly leaped over the couch and threw her arms around Concerto, the British Angel laughing with joy upon seeing her former colleague, now dressed in the Angel uniform.

Rhapsody Angel finally released all the emotions that had built up over months in a swift burst of happiness. “Charlotte, it feels so unreal, having you be a Spectrum Angel. You’re here, you’re a part of Spectrum, and you’re one of the Angel Pilots, working with me and the other girls. It feels like I’m in a dream, but yet this is the real world, and you’re really here, dressed in the gold and cream uniform.”

Concerto Angel reciprocated her friend’s feelings. “Dianne, I finally got so many questions answered. I didn’t know where you went, I didn’t know what Spectrum really was, and I didn’t know who the Angels were. It’s a massive relief, to have so many questions answered, and having the chance to work with you once again after being apart for eight years, and to finally have known that you’re a Spectrum Angel. That too, feels very dreamy to me. And all of this because I took a leap of faith, and accepted the offer Spectrum sent me.”

“Thank you so much for doing that, Charlotte."

Rhapsody finally unwrapped herself from Concerto, and stepped to the side.

“Charlotte, I’d like to introduce you to my colleagues, friends, and one of the finest fighter squadrons in existence, the Spectrum Angels. We’re all glad to have you here.”


Acknowledgments:

Gerry and Sylvia Anderson for making an amazing show, and taking the bold step of creating the Angels, an all-female fighter squadron, and the team at Century 21 Productions, for bringing Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons to life, including scriptwriter Tony Barwick.

Chris Bishop for managing Spectrum HQ, answering the multiple questions I’ve had, and beta-reading.

Hazel Köhler for being an excellent beta-reader, suggesting various changes and pointing out where I messed up.

Both Hazel and Chris had to deal with me finding my feet again in the writing world, and I am very grateful to them for helping me get back into it again.

Everyone on the Spectrum HQ Forums for suggestions, ideas, and general support.

The fine people of the Anderprise 21 Discord server, for giving the fighter and name, and improving its realism, plus general support and comments.

My father, a pilot, for answering any general aviation questions I have.

And Project Aces, creators of the Ace Combat series, for providing a fantastic soundtrack to work by and providing inspiration for stories.


“FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site