Original series Suitable for all readersMedium level of violence

 

A Question of Trust

 

A “Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons” story

By Chris Bishop

 

 

SYNOPSIS:

 

Set one week after the events on the TV episode “Winger Assassin”.  The new improved Captain Scarlet had proven his loyalty to Earth and Spectrum by giving his life in an attempt to save the Asian Director General’s live.  But it’s not everybody in the Spectrum organisation who trusted him just yet.  Captain Ochre and Destiny Anger each have their reasons to distrust him.  Following a new Mysteron threat, and while a sick Captain Blue is confined to sickbay, Scarlet is assigned to the protection of the Aerial Exposition in Los Angeles, and boards the prototype of a new Passenger Jet, along with Captains Ochre, Grey, and Destiny Angel. 

 

__________________________________________

 

 

 

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

 

This story is based on characters created by Gerry And Sylvia Anderson for the TV series “Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons

Some events and characters Copyright © of all trademarks materials (Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons and all other series titles, all their characters, vehicles, crafts, etc.), owned by ITC/Polygram.  Information of the series are all been taken from copyright © materials (books, magazines, videos, T.V. medias, comics, etc) owned by ITC/Polygram. 

No money is been made on this site by its owner.

 

Some events and characters created by Kimberly Murphy and Mary J. Rudy in their own fan fiction stories, are referred to, and the fact that Destiny Angel had identified the ORIGINAL body of Scarlet (although I had put up a second identification, that of the cloned one, which could be taken as the scene depicted in the first TV episode.  Also taken from Kimberly Murphy and Mary J. Rudy are the important fact that Captain Scarlet and Destiny have known each other’s romantically before actually joining Spectrum.  Some hints at Rhapsody Angel already in love with Scarlet, but keeping that to herself, are also present.

 

I also used some referring points to events happening in my first fan fiction story “All the colours of the Rainbow”.

 

Flashback sections reported to some “missing scenes” from the first and second episodes of the series, where reactions from diverse characters (Colonel White, Captain Ochre, Captain Grey and Destiny Angel) over Scarlet’s actions in those episodes are further developed.

 

The Aero Special One described in this story has been developed from an idea taken in the second “Captain Scarlet Annual” (1968), where “updates” of the Spectrum Passenger Jet are designed.  I took some liberties here and there and used the designs as part of a prototype from Universal Aero Engineering, the firm who developed the SPJs exclusively for Spectrum.

 

This story serves the purposes of explaining some important questions.  I have wondered HOW the Spectrum organization had come to the conclusion that Mysteron agents were all difficult, if not impossible, to kill.  Aside from the reconstruction of the Mysteron complex on Mars in the first episode and Scarlet’s own indestructibility, they had no further indications of that before some episodes later in the TV series. As far as it seems, maybe only Captain Scarlet, due to the particular events surrounding his own revival, could have retain the powers of retrometabolism.  In fact, about all the people and objects the Mysterons had reconstructed seemed fairly easy to destroy (For example, in the first episode, Captain Brown was actually blown to pieces and NEVER came back afterward.).

 

Second question:  what do Spectrum members understand of Captain Scarlet’s powers? Did they actually believe, right from the start, that he simply cannot be killed, or die from his wounds?  Could they even envision him coming back from death itself after being killed?

 

Lastly: since the second TV episode, Scarlet had shown some spells that originate his hability to – in some cases – detect Mysteron’s presence or danger.  As it will be explained in that story, neither Captain Scarlet nor Doctor Fawn will take this as a “sixth sense” demonstration from the start, but are actually concerned that the Mysterons are trying to regain control on Scarlet (well, maybe they could be right, I won’t tell!).

 

As all these events take place, there is not any Mysteron Detector, nor Mysteron gun yet conceived by Spectrum Research Centre.

 

Apologies to the fans of Captain Blue out there.  For the purposes of the story, I had to somehow get rid of him, so the reason for stranding him in Sickbay with the flu.  He will be back, though, with problems of his own in a story I’m actually working on.

 

Added note:  REVISION COMPLETED! Hazel Kolher had offered me, very graciously to be the beta-reader of this story.  Each chapter is now entirely revised and have replaced the original version.  So I have to thank Hazel – along with Mary J. Rudy – who, with their efforts and advises, had been a great help for the revised version of this story that you’re about to read.

 

 

A QUESTION OF TRUST (complete story  - zip)

 

 

Chapter 1Chapter 2Chapter 3Chapter 4Chapter 5Chapter 6Chapter 7 Chapter 8

Chapter 9Chapter 10 Epilogue

 

 

OTHER STORIES FROM CHRIS BISHOP

 

"FAN FICTION ARCHIVES" PAGE